psychology major?

ryanhayes9

does anyone here major in psychology?
I was thinking about becoming either a chef or a phychoogist. What are some good colleges for it?

J

jrthomas40

that is some range of fields of study.....i wanted to be a marine biologist or a marine biologist...lol...although i have thought about going to culinary school....good luck with your choice thought either or would be fun

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ryanhayes9
does anyone here major in psychology?
I was thinking about becoming either a chef or a phychoogist. What are some good colleges for it?
You can get a degree in Psychology from any 4 year school. What are you looking to do in that field? Pshycologist, Psychiatrist (need a higher degree and also medical), counsler, what?

nicetry

A 4 year undergrad degree in psychology won't open too many doors for you. It's an interesting field and you can get a flavor for what types of jobs are available, however if you really have an interest in counseling or a related field you'll need at least a masters degree. I would suggest going for an LSW (licensed social worker). This would really allow you to explore a broader range of careers. Bear in mind that social service vocations can be rewarding but also carry a high burn out level.
Culinary degrees are fine but the competition is extremely stiff. Look into either a good culinary school, or a degree is hospitality management that will cover the gamut of hotel/restaurant/resort operations.
You'll likely change your mind a few times once you actually start school, so try to get some ideas of what you might really want to do as a career, and tailor your course load in that direction. The college my wife works at offers a degree in Hotel/Rstaurant management and a lot of the kids are recruited by Disney, Hyatt, and other large hotel/resort operations.

silversibe

Everything I've been told from many a college professor goes along the lines of...you would be wasting your time and money. Psychology is a degree that is interesting, but not very useful.

pontius

Originally Posted by SilverSibe
Everything I've been told from many a college professor goes along the lines of...you would be wasting your time and money. Psychology is a degree that is interesting, but not very useful.
as someone who has a BA in psychology, I agree 100%. I could've went to tech school and got 2 worthwhile associates degrees in less time and less money than it took to get the worthless degree that I have.
Ryan, if you're thinking about psych as a major, I recommend looking into something else.

lovethesea

a girlfriend of mine has a psych degree..............she sells medical equipment making a ton of money.
Don't waste your time on that unless you really feel like you can open your own practice or know of a practice you will going into.

jmick

I have a buddy who got a ba in psych and he's a bank teller...I think if he could go back and get a different degree he would.

chutneyjh

A psych degree is pretty limited, unless you're sure you want to go into the behavioral sciences, and then you'll want to go to grad school anyway. Pretty mucn anything in liberal arts is going to prepare you for grad school by teaching you to research, think critically, and defend your position on an issue. I would go in undecided and take some courses until you find something that really interests you. If you're like most other college students, you'll end up changing your major anyway, so there's no real hurry to pick one now.

demartini

Go to the culinary institute in San Francisco. It's a great school! San Francisco would be the perfect place to jump-start a culinary career.

bellanavis

I almost had my psychology degree, needed 2 more classes, when my advisor told me that there was no money in that feild, unless you went for your bachlers (sp) degree, which was another 2 years, and I had just had my baby, so I just stopped. Now, I am in nursing school, and I plan on working in the Psych ward, since I already have so much experence with that area already.

f14peter

Originally Posted by DeMartini
Go to the culinary institute in San Francisco. It's a great school! San Francisco would be the perfect place to jump-start a culinary career.
Ah yes, if you are indeed going to go to a highly specialized vocational institute, make sure it's a good one. There's dozens and dozens of these types of schools, but in the real-world many of their "Degrees" aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
I work in TV/Video and there used to be (Maybe they're still around, don't know) the COLUMBIA SCHOOL OF BROADCASTING that taught video production, how to be on-air talent, directing, etc. Problem is, graduating from there would only give potential employers their laugh of the day. Go to an interview with such credentials and you'd get a "Thanks, we'll be in touch" response and the next interview would be delayed while the interviewers got over their laughing fit.
I also happen to know several bartenders (Okay! So I've spent an hour or two in a wateringhole!) and they also laugh when the subject of bartender schools come up.

phixer

You should do what you are drawn too and strive to be the best at it. The fact is not everyone can slam a ball like Jordan or is intellectually inclined to be an MD or mechanically inclined enough to fix jets. Dont mean to burst your bubble but to to think anyone can do anything if they just apply themselves is a load of crap, actually two loads of crap. Of course you will make zillions... IF you can do it. Most cannot... so seek to become the best at what you are good at.
"The world needs ditch diggers too"
Caddyshack

demartini

Originally Posted by f14peter
Ah yes, if you are indeed going to go to a highly specialized vocational institute, make sure it's a good one. There's dozens and dozens of these types of schools, but in the real-world many of their "Degrees" aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
I work in TV/Video and there used to be (Maybe they're still around, don't know) the COLUMBIA SCHOOL OF BROADCASTING that taught video production, how to be on-air talent, directing, etc. Problem is, graduating from there would only give potential employers their laugh of the day. Go to an interview with such credentials and you'd get a "Thanks, we'll be in touch" response and the next interview would be delayed while the interviewers got over their laughing fit.
I also happen to know several bartenders (Okay! So I've spent an hour or two in a wateringhole!) and they also laugh when the subject of bartender schools come up.
Where do you work? I'm majoring in broadcasting at San Francisco state.... supposedly they have an excellent program.

vanos

Originally Posted by lovethesea
a girlfriend of mine has a psych degree..............she sells medical equipment making a ton of money.
Don't waste your time on that unless you really feel like you can open your own practice or know of a practice you will going into.

She was able to get that job because she had a college degree. The majority of people who get college degrees do not work in their particular major when they graduate or even 10 years later.
I have a BA in psychology and completely do nothing related to my major.
My wife has a BA in Political Science and does nothing related to her major.
But we went to college which opens doors.

demartini

Originally Posted by Vanos
She was able to get that job because she had a college degree. The majority of people who get college degrees do not work in their particular major when they graduate or even 10 years later.
I have a BA in psychology and completely do nothing related to my major.
My wife has a BA in Political Science and does nothing related to her major.
But we went to college which opens doors.
I have been told that it really doesn't matter what you get a degree in. It just matters that you do have one. If you need an idea then I can tell you that liberal studies is great. It's a very well rounded major.