Puffer Question

outsdr2

Hello I bought a spotted puffer and he has been burying himself in the sand. is it just a self protection thing or should I be concerned? below is a pic.
Jack

R

rcreations

Wow! I have no idea but that's a cool picture. I never knew they did that.

crypt keeper

Id say its pretty normal if he is doing it. Id say he is trying to get used to his surroundings. He blends in perfectly. Let him do his thing and just try to get him too eat.

hlcroghan

Your avatar really reminds me of another member who used to come on here a lot. Very similar but it was colored in red instead......hmmmm

unleashed

i have never seen a puffer do that before.. it may be a natural instinct for him as protection if he feels threatened in the new tank

jayson417

I think you could use atleast another 30-40lbs of live or base rock for him. My puffer loves to hide in his little cave and swim in and our of it. Sometimes he even sits on the cave :)

outsdr2

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3062714
Nice tank! What kind of filtration do you have on it?
Thank you I work my butt off on that tank. I run a 75 gallon wet dry with two skimmers and a 30 watt uv sterlizier. I also have a 1 ton chiller tied in that keeps it at a nice temp of 78 degrees.

outsdr2

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/3064552
i have never seen a puffer do that before.. it may be a natural instinct for him as protection if he feels threatened in the new tank
yeah he is an expert at digging in. I am wondering if he is wild caught. he definatly goes on the prowl after lights out as a few of my cleaner clams are no longer with us.
plus he really dispises two cleaner wrass he is tank buddies with. they harass him so i figure if he decides their a snack they had it coming.

outsdr2

Originally Posted by Jayson417
http:///forum/post/3064581
I think you could use atleast another 30-40lbs of live or base rock for him. My puffer loves to hide in his little cave and swim in and our of it. Sometimes he even sits on the cave :)
Yeah I agree. I was thinking maybe another 100 or two more for a nice aquascape with caves and hiding places. most of the rocks i have in the center because of the limited access from the top. I was really freaking when i put the big boulder in the center in. I thought it was going to fall and go right through the bottom. i will teather it if i ever remove it, which is never going to happen. I hope. I would like to get a super large toga piece. I really would like a diversity of different rock work.

nordy

Nice tank! I like the mix of fish you have there. it does seem that you could use a bunch more LR, not only for visual interest, but for the fish to hide out/hang out in. It seems like most of the tangs are hanging out around your rock structure in the middle of the tank and they would probably spread out more , if you had a lot more LR to create some more living space for them.
I have had several puffers, and have never seen one hide in the tank-my puffers (dog face puffers) have been the king of the tank and are bold, in control, not shy or retiring.

outsdr2

Originally Posted by Nordy
http:///forum/post/3064861
Nice tank! I like the mix of fish you have there. it does seem that you could use a bunch more LR, not only for visual interest, but for the fish to hide out/hang out in. It seems like most of the tangs are hanging out around your rock structure in the middle of the tank and they would probably spread out more , if you had a lot more LR to create some more living space for them.
I have had several puffers, and have never seen one hide in the tank-my puffers (dog face puffers) have been the king of the tank and are bold, in control, not shy or retiring.
Thanks for the compliment. I moved the puffer to my reef tank. he is one happy fish now! pictures coming soon!

outsdr2

Hi everyone. My puffer is a congo puffer AKA leopard puffer. it is suppose to be a freshwater puffer. anyways it seems that he quite the biter. I was retrieving a algae clip with my tongs and the next thing I know is it feels like someone grabbed my arm with a pair of pliers.
evidently he now has a taste for my blood. he even lunged for my hand this morning biting my nail slightly. this fish has me terrified. any suggestions?

signed, once bitten. twice shy!?!

small triggers

im gonna get in trouble here, but when my fish bite me i flick them,, yep right in the mouth/snout. it works for me ,most of the time i should say,,, after the first or second you can get stuff done in the tank, of course you have to do it every time you put you hand in there, since it is their territory