Puffer, trigger, Clowns??

dkfloyd

I want to change my existing tank a little and I have a couple of questions from the experts here..
I have two Perc Clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a Max. Clam.
1. Can I add a Hawaiin Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer
(with, or either/or)
Humu Humu or Niger Trigger?
I have a 55gal. It does have some corals in it now, but I can move them to my other tank. Will these fish bother my clam? Will these fish get along either with each other, or the others?
Thank you.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by dkfloyd
http:///forum/post/2743494
I want to change my existing tank a little and I have a couple of questions from the experts here..
I have two Perc Clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a Max. Clam.
1. Can I add a Hawaiin Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer
(with, or either/or)
Humu Humu or Niger Trigger?
I have a 55gal. It does have some corals in it now, but I can move them to my other tank. Will these fish bother my clam? Will these fish get along either with each other, or the others?
Thank you.
The small puffers are iffy with any crustaceans, as the cleaner shrimp is already in the tank, you may get lucky, but it is a risk....As for the Triggers, I would say bad idea in a tank that small, bad idea with any inverts, bad idea with any small fish. Nigers are very large Triggers, people tend to forget this as they are often available in such small sizes. Huma's stay smaller, but would not do well long term in a 55.

hammerhed7

a crosshatch, or blue jaw would be the only 2 triggers I would put in a reef, however a 55 gallon is way to small for a crosshatch, a Blue jaw may be ok for a while if you got a small one they max out at around 8", but I would not put one in less than a 90.
The dwarf puffers are known to nip at fish, and will eat inverts. Even if he doesn't get your cleaner shrimp, and crabs or snails would likely be lunch.
The are not above snacking on corals either.

srfisher17

I totally agree with the above two posts. Neither trigger belongs in your tank; they don't stay the cute little guys that seem to be in every lfs now...they turn into real triggers.