Pulsing Xenia

A friend just gave me a Pulsing Xenia and I am wonder about feeding? I feed with photoplankton ,Iodine,strotuim. Do yhese need any thing else or am I ok?%% This is a 29 gallon with acouple of zoos, mushrooms, yellow buttons, 2 clowns, mandarin, firegobby.

florida joe

They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae from which they receive the majority of their nutritional requirements. but you are fine with your suppliments

flower

Hi,
Don't add iodine unless you can test for it. The phytoplankton is quite sufficient; you don't need the other stuff.

flower

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3058670
SHE'S BACK.....HI FLOWER

Hi!!!
I have been around for two days but nothing seemed to grab my attention to answer. Xenia is my favorite coral and I just had to put my 2 cents in.

florida joe

The main supplement normally associated with successfully keeping Xenia is Iodine. Many authors state categorically that iodine supplements are critical to success and lack of iodine supplements will cause xenia to crash. I have keep Xenia with and without iodine supplementation and have observed no difference, so I am more skeptical of the iodine connection. Low Alkalinity levels can cause Xenia pulsing to decrease or cease altogether, so alkalinity levels should be monitored and kept above a minimum of 2.5meq/l. as published by coral mag
I am going to take the add iodine opinion when it comes to Xenia and iodine supplements and Xenia (which I have in my DT). Before you odd or just stop supplementing iodine I suggest you do your own research and make you decision based on published information.
Iodine supplementation.
The addition of an iodide (sic) supplementation greatly assists in preventing the loss of zooxanthellae and pigment or bleaching and aids recovery after a bleaching event (Wilkens, 1986)
So as stated get a test kit, supplement and monitor