Purchase corals online vs. LFS

katz

LFS
I am just curious on how many on this board purchase their corals online or In their local LFS.
I have purchase most of mine from here.
Katz

reefkprz

I get most of my stuff through off people, unfortunatly I have a better selection than the LFS's around here .(there are a few exceptions if I want to travel though) but the execptions are really expensive.

reefforbrains

I travel constantly and I live on West coast so I just pick up in person. I have alot of friends with shops too so I like to poke around and see in person when I can.

maingo

Online only because there are only like 2 LFS in my area therefore they are just to high dollar for me, I can buy a coral for lets say 30 or so bucks online V lets say 95 bucks at the LFS.

mushroomss

my LFS are suprisingly cheap and i am located near Los Angelas.And tons of coral gets shipped into LA.im one of the lucky ones!

I

innerdragon103

i dunno i feel like its just too much of a gamble to order online, plus they have all these ridiculous fees for shipping etc... so even tho LFS is a bit overpriced i find that you still save money in the end.

rrcjr1972

Prefer to see first hand the color, health and conditions. Never know with online orders. Just my 2cents.

steve24

i bought almost all of my corals on line...
only have a few LFS that carry very few corals, so i don`t have much of a choice. my on line purchases came from SWF and two other places, and i am very happy with all of my corals...
steve

viper_930

For me it really depends on what coral I'm going after. A few of the LFS in the Bay Area here have pretty well-known sites so I would be ordering online from them, but since they're local I can pick up things myself. Probably half of my corals, if not more, were bought online and shipped.

zeroc

I have a coral farmer with over 3000 pieces in a greenhouse with really really good prices near me and there's a LFS that's got a pretty good selection at decent prices as well. Nice to see exactly what you're getting (and no worry about shipping damage)

05xrunner

LFS...byt the time you buy the coral online. yes might be cheaper price but when you pay the shipping its almost double what I woulda paid in store. I have yet to buy anything online. Just dont trust the chance of it being dead either.

petjunkie

I don't have any lfs nearby and the two times I have risked it and bought from shops in other towns I got flatworms and a eunicid worm. Plus paid an arm and a leg. It's easier to order online, cheaper, I get a guarentee and as long as you order from someone reputable you will be happy. I also like that many places have begun wysiwyg sections so it's less of a guess but I've never been unhappy with my online stuff.

azfishgal

I didn't vote, because I just started and I've bought coral twice, once on-line and once at the lfs. So can't really say which is best at this point, but my lfs does have lots to choose from though and it's nice to see exactly what you are getting. The ones I ordered on-line were a lot smaller than I had thought, but very healthy.