Purple Lobster

jam1e

Thinking of putting a Purple Lobster in my 90 Gallon FOWLR ... any comments? .. suggestions for feeding? .. experiences?

alyssia

I have one and he hides ALL the time. I can't ever spot feed him b/c I never see him. I find molts though so I know he's still in there somewhere.

drakken

Purple lobsters are mean SOBs! They will kill any slow moving fish they can get their claws on. Also, they hide all the time. I had one and had to take it after it killed my LM bleny and 2 firefish.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by Jam1e
hmmmm :thinking: .... maybe I'll reconsider
If you really want one go for the BLUE SPINEY,, No CLaws BUT agressive but wont catch or eat fish, ONLY the Dead Silverslides i give him, BUT CAN EASILY EAT EVERY DAY!

miaheatlvr

yeah I was thinking about one of those as well .. would he harm SPS corals?
Doesnt TOUCH any of my corals!

miaheatlvr

do you have any sps? .. kuz those are the only coral I'm getting
NO SPS, though, sorry!

alyssia

Originally Posted by Drakken
Purple lobsters are mean SOBs! They will kill any slow moving fish they can get their claws on. Also, they hide all the time. I had one and had to take it after it killed my LM bleny and 2 firefish.

You are actually the first person I've seen post on here that has a problem w/their purple lobster being aggressive.

alyssia

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
If you really want one go for the BLUE SPINEY,, No CLaws BUT agressive but wont catch or eat fish, ONLY the Dead Silverslides i give him, BUT CAN EASILY EAT EVERY DAY!

Wow, that's a pretty cool looking lobster! How long is it? Do you know how big they get in captivity?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by alyssia
bump
Hello there ALY, my gou is about 3 inches long and his antenae's are about 4 inches each,, really really cool with alot of personality, used to be shy for like the first 2 months but not anymore. I have no clue how big he gets.. BUT he made areally cool MOLT! I think when he gets big enough i will put him in the ocean!
SEE LINK https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=233010

miaheatlvr

so which do ya'll suggest .. are either of those SPS safe?
I think the other DUDE has some SPS,, its your personal choice,, ME I like the blue obviously. lol

alyssia

If the blues come out more I would go for that. Like I said before, I feel like my purple one was a waste of money because I never see it.