purple lobster?

gmwilk

anyone have one of these? if so what inverts did you have and did it attack them or fish? would you suggest them? thanks!

fishkiller

They are cool and beautiful. Keep em well fed and you should be ok. I wouldn't put em with very small shrimp like sexy's or nuthin

trippkid

mine hides all of the time, the only time to see him is at night with a flashlight. It molts about every 2mo. so I know he is still alive. I think he may snack on my snails and some hermits. Not a big deal.

cgj

I have one too... he cost 30 bucks. He sits in a small cave under a rock all day with just his face and claws sticking out. During the night he travels the tank a bit, but he is almost NEVER seen fully in direct sight.
He gets very pissed when anything comes close to his lair, and will pound and gash, kick and scream until they leave.

sooz

I have one - he came with my tank so I did not choose him. He just sits in a cave under the LR all day. I can shine a flashlight in and see him, so I know he is alive, but the only time I saw his whole body was when the tank was set up in my house. I assume he scavanges at night.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by gmwilk
anyone have one of these? if so what inverts did you have and did it attack them or fish? would you suggest them? thanks!

Careful, these are usually very agressive and would love to kill and eat small fish and inverts.

E

essop3

A guy I know told me to put a $20 bill under a rock and you'd have the same thing. They can eat small fish/inverts, like everyone said.

fishkiller

On the other hand, one would be perfect for a little desk nano. I'm sure you position the lr so you can see em.

gmwilk

i was thinking about getting a cleaner shrimp and maybe a goby / shrimp combo and wouldnt want teh lobster eating the shrimp...think a cleaner or pistol would be considered small enough for dinner?

miaheatlvr

i was thinking about getting a cleaner shrimp and maybe a goby / shrimp combo and wouldnt want teh lobster eating the shrimp...think a cleaner or pistol would be considered small enough for dinner?
These Lobsters, When hungry and go into agressive mode will catch and eat anything they can get their claws on.

grabbitt

Haha... My purple lobster had no problem with taking out my Black Volitan and my Yellow Tang.. They're cool to look at (when they are actually out... which is RARE), but they're not to be trusted.

gmwilk

im going to say its a no go with the lobster lol they look cool but i dont trust em from what everyone says thanks all!

anthropo

im going to say its a no go with the lobster lol they look cool but i dont trust em from what everyone says thanks all!
i have one and i love that little

[hr]
. i've had him for two years in my 135 gallon. he's never ate any of my cleaner shrimp, coral banded or any of my small fish such as neon goby's and my cherub angel. you just have to make sure you feed him. i see mine out all day long cause of the way i have my rock positioned. i have 2 pieces of that white rock u can get at ***** with the hole in the middle. the lobster loves chilling in those holes which makes him totally visible.

sooz

Originally Posted by anthropo
i have one and i love that little

[hr]
. i've had him for two years in my 135 gallon. he's never ate any of my cleaner shrimp, coral banded or any of my small fish such as neon goby's and my cherub angel. you just have to make sure you feed him. i see mine out all day long cause of the way i have my rock positioned. i have 2 pieces of that white rock u can get at ***** with the hole in the middle. the lobster loves chilling in those holes which makes him totally visible.
What do you feed him? I assume ours is scavenging at night -- I throw in shrimp pellets from time to time.
I will definitely look into the white rock with a hole idea because I would love to see mine once in awhile!

anthropo

Originally Posted by sooz
What do you feed him? I assume ours is scavenging at night -- I throw in shrimp pellets from time to time.
I will definitely look into the white rock with a hole idea because I would love to see mine once in awhile!
i feed him krill once a week, mysis, and ocean nutrition angel formula. the mysis and angel formula he scavenges when i feed my other fish

bizkitpug

I also have one. He has never harmed anything in my tank. Never touched my cleaner shrimp or anything else. When something dies though, he is the first thing to grab it. Awesome scavenger. Some of my live rock has holes in it and he just hangs out in there. He eats food that falls to the bottom and whatever else he finds. I have seen him come out and swipe at something that is new when they go by his area. I have an emerald crab who stays in one rock, the lobster decided he wanted to trade so they had a standoff. The lobster backed down and went back to his home. He is liek 4 times the size of that crab. Whatever. I love my lobster!