Purple Lobster

gamewarden

I'm interested in getting a pruple lobster and plan on keeping it by itself.. My question is what are its minimum requirements i.e tank size, filtration etc.

fretfreak13

I don't know much about them besides that they burrow, so whatever LR you have, make sure it's sitting on the bottom of the TANK, not ontop of the substrate so if the lobster burrows under it wont fall on top of him.

btldreef

They grow to about 5" so I'd say at least a 20G tank.
This site actually says that they need 25G or more: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11...ot_parent_id=4
Here's some good info on them from another site:
"QUICK STATS
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 5"
Color Form: Orange, Purple, White
Diet: Omnivore
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Nephropidae
The Debelius' Reef Lobster, also known as the Purple/Orange Reef Lobster, has a white to lavender body, with orange and violet spots. The elongated, flat claws which are used for threats and defense may be purple, as well.
An ideal environment should have a thick gravel bed for burrowing, and rocks for hiding, as well as live rock on which to hunt. After molting, the Reef Lobster will need a secure hiding place, such as a cave, while it waits for its new exoskeleton to harden. The cave can be designed so that the lobster can be seen during the day, but it usually will spend most of the daylight hours hiding from the light. It prefers to scavenge and hunt at night. The Reef Lobster is described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates. All Reef Lobsters are very territorial and aggressive towards each other, so only one specimen, or a mated pair should be kept per tank. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications.
Most of the diet will consist of food it scavenges, but supplementing with iodine-rich foods will help ensure proper molting."

gamewarden

thanks for the info. What I think would be ideal is a shallow tank since the lobster isn't interested in vertical and greater length would allow for more usable rock work. Anybody ever seen a shallow 20 gal tank?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Gamewarden
http:///forum/post/3165092
thanks for the info. What I think would be ideal is a shallow tank since the lobster isn't interested in vertical and greater length would allow for more usable rock work. Anybody ever seen a shallow 20 gal tank?
Yes, it's called a 20G LONG tank. They're rare. Look in the reptile section of a LFS