Purple tang skin problem.

streamer

try soaking the food in a lot of garlic, I take about 10 cloves of garlic, half smash it and add ro water, I keep it an old 1# margarine tub..if you can try and find the deltec ho skimmer, they really pull crap from the water..
I feel bad for you, purple tangs are my favourite, if I could I would have nothing but tangs in my tank..

krebs11

Yes it sucks it's my most expensive fish I have to. I do mix the food with garlic. I have a skimmer I just can't remember what kind it is. It seems to be working pretty well. It pulls alot of crap out.

streamer

when did you do your last water change, could that be a possibility..what is your salanity running.. I am from Canada and a nice small purple tang here starts around 250.00 so trust me when I feel your pain...

krebs11

I did a 20 percent water change about a week and a half ago. Which I'm gonna do another one soon because I'm going on vacation so I figured I'd do one before I go. And I keep my salanty at 32. Or close to it

streamer

not sure what that salinity reading is, I use a refractor meter and I keep mine around 1.019 to 1.021 for my fowlr tank and 1.024 to 1.026 for the mixed reef..

krebs11

I had a quick question maybe you could help out. Do you recommend uv sterilizer to help with cloudy water and to help with parasites

streamer

no, I think its a waste of money.. are you using a ro system, all it will do is kill the very small particles that have made it through the ro and your skimmer..uv does nothing for parasites..if you should have them they are in your tank not in the water that you are putting in the tank..hope that what you are referring to.
use the money to change the membranes in your ro unit...I used to breed and show dogs and I feel very strong about deworming your livestock, I deworm my tank every 6 weeks with Seachem ParaGuard...also, garlic is a natural parasite inhibitor ...

krebs11

I do use paragaurd. I've had the same membrane since march. Will the uv sterilizer maybe the water more clear. I'm trying to do this also.

krebs11

Yea it's cloudy all the time. I use the instant ocean reef salt. It's in a orange bag. I ordered to hob filters and then gonna run carbon with them and hope that helps.

streamer

depending where you live give your town/city a call and find out what they are putting in the water to make it drinkable..in Canada they use a ton of chemicals.I change my membrane's twice a year. are you running just a ro or is it ro/di...

streamer

that's all that I run as well, I am on another forum in Ontario and I have asked other members there why your water is cloudy.. you should join the site, its great and the ppl are awesome...

krebs11

Ok I might have to do that I'll have to get on tomorrow. I have to get to bed for work in the morning. Send me the site info

pegasus

A UV filter will kill parasites if the flow going through it is slow, but it will also kill any beneficial pods that go through it. It doesn't cure the tank of parasites, but it can help reduce parasites and free-floating algae. Charcoal will help clear up cloudy water. An RO membrane should last about 3 years, but only if you use good sediment and charcoal filters to clean the water before it reaches the membrane. A flush kit on the membrane will also help extend it's usable life. While an RO system does a good job of getting rid of most of the nasty stuff, it doesn't get everything. DI resin will finish polishing the water by removing the remaining TDS, so if you don't have DI as the final stage, you are allowing some nasty stuff to go into your tank.

streamer

A UV filter will kill parasites if the flow going through it is slow, but it will also kill any beneficial pods that go through it. It doesn't cure the tank of parasites, but it can help reduce parasites and free-floating algae. Charcoal will help clear up cloudy water. An RO membrane should last about 3 years, but only if you use good sediment and charcoal filters to clean the water before it reaches the membrane. A flush kit on the membrane will also help extend it's usable life. While an RO system does a good job of getting rid of most of the nasty stuff, it doesn't get everything. DI resin will finish polishing the water by removing the remaining TDS, so if you don't have DI as the final stage, you are allowing some nasty stuff to go into your tank.
I wish my membranes lasted half that long, our water is awful and I change mine every 6 mths...