Purple UP!

guinness

my roommate dosed it for me when i was on vacation and caused the calcium to precipitate out. if you use it use caution. it is nice but there are other better products out there if you are willing to spend a little more and use a few different products.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
Is this a bad product? Any experiences? I heard one where it grew like crazy weirdo lol.

There is no need for this additive.

myreef05

Patience, lighting, and good flow is all you need OR seed it with a piece of lr or rubble covered in coraline.
Use with caution as I have heard it can cause upset and crash the tank. Just what I heard on HERE.

petjunkie

It's a ripoff basically, overpriced water with some cacium and iodine. Won't do anything water changes with a good salt mix won't do and may overdose your tank on iodine and throw alk out of whack. Really once you have corraline you will hate it growing over everything so let it come naturally, your scraping arm will thank you.

royal gang

Originally Posted by myreef05
Patience, lighting, and good flow is all you need OR seed it with a piece of lr or rubble covered in coraline.
Use with caution as I have heard it can cause upset and crash the tank. Just what I heard on HERE.
I have had almost a year's patience, I have 250 watts on ONE side of the aquarium, good flow? plenty of flow, and a pretty good 320 calcium, and still NOTHING and I do have a little bit of coralline on my rocks, it's just GOSH!!! It just won't come out, it's a jerk. lol.

geoj

I have had almost a year's patience, I have 250 watts on ONE side of the aquarium, good flow? plenty of flow, and a pretty good 320 calcium, and still NOTHING and I do have a little bit of coralline on my rocks, it's just GOSH!!! It just won't come out, it's a jerk. lol.

Your calcium is low for rapid growth, 410-450 would be better
Calcium and alk need to be constantly in the upper ranges for good coralline growth. If the growth you get is not good enough for you try testing your iodine.
Iodine:Use aquarium products only when adding iodine not all iodine is the same some forms are toxic. One more note on iodine it changes form in the aquarium and test don’t identify all forms so always add half recommended dose. Now that sad if you do regular water changes you may test at good levels for all elements and not need supplementation. I use Kent Marine and if you start to see green algae growth cut back on iodine dose.
Purple UP I tried it but I like dosing calcium separate gives me more control...

myreef05

Get a piece from a friend that has alot of purple on it and scrape it off inside your tank. It will spread then.
I've been in this hobby along time and I laugh every time I see a thread like this because in a year you will be mad that coraline is everywhere. Ha!
Raise the calcium.
Also what type of rock do you have? That matters too!!

royal gang

Get a piece from a friend that has alot of purple on it and scrape it off inside your tank. It will spread then.
I've been in this hobby along time and I laugh every time I see a thread like this because in a year you will be mad that coraline is everywhere. Ha!
Raise the calcium.
Fiji. Lol, I will scrape it off the glass if any gets on there, there's like 4 little coralline spots on the glass actually, and there's a good amount of coralline on my pumps, but WHAT IS IT DOING ON MY PUMPS!?!?

royal gang

Raise the calcium.
A friend with a salt water aquarium in Yuma? LMAO!!! It's like if you want to see lava turn green or something... well that's a bad example lol but no one here has let alone an aquarium.
Also, will scraping a friends rock like... spread seeds or something? scrape it off to the extent of braking the coralline? or just gently?

mcbdz

Don't need to be gental, scrape away.
For some reason it grows best and first on plastic. I put a tuppaware bowl in my tank with a few srooms so they could attach and it got covered so I scraped it off in my water when I was through with it. Mine it covering everything. Likes the glass on my themomiter too.
If it gets where you can reach it just start scraping it off in the water. It helps it spread. I have heard it grows slower under bright light. That may be it. My tank started at about 5 months and hasn't stopped. Even my limestone base rock has it all over it. I don't add, but use reef salt and do water changes weekly.

royal gang

Originally Posted by mcbdz
Don't need to be gental, scrape away.
For some reason it grows best and first on plastic. I put a tuppaware bowl in my tank with a few srooms so they could attach and it got covered so I scraped it off in my water when I was through with it. Mine it covering everything. Likes the glass on my themomiter too.
If it gets where you can reach it just start scraping it off in the water. It helps it spread. I have heard it grows slower under bright light. That may be it. My tank started at about 5 months and hasn't stopped. Even my limestone base rock has it all over it. I don't add, but use reef salt and do water changes weekly.
I do a water change of 5 gallons to my 55.. that's about 17.5% (taking quick guess) every 2 weeks, is that ok?

sly

I have used purple up before... it's useless. It will throw your tank out of balance. Just dose with regular calcium suppliment.

coolguy818

I do a water change of 5 gallons to my 55.. that's about 17.5% (taking quick guess) every 2 weeks, is that ok?
Sorry its 11%.
I've also been using Purple UP and B-Ionic........ On a daily basis, since I started this new tank.
Up until yesterday everything was fine, until I got new test kits. Come to find out my Calcium is sky high and so is the Alk.

cgj

Fiji. Lol, I will scrape it off the glass if any gets on there, there's like 4 little coralline spots on the glass actually, and there's a good amount of coralline on my pumps, but WHAT IS IT DOING ON MY PUMPS!?!?

Your pumps are made of plastic. Coralline has the tendency to build on plastic expecially when exposed to high flow. I have a gi joe jet for aquarium decor and over the course of 2 months it has gone from clean to probably 50% of its surfaces encrusted with coralline, which looks awesome.
Also keep a low nitrite and nitrate level. Kalkwasser dosing will raise calcium and keep an exceptionally high ph which is needed for it.

sly

Originally Posted by Coolguy818
Sorry its 11%.
I've also been using Purple UP and B-Ionic........ On a daily basis, since I started this new tank.
Up until yesterday everything was fine, until I got new test kits. Come to find out my Calcium is sky high and so is the Alk.
Since your calcium is sky high, your magnesium is dangerously low. The two affect each other... This is why people shouldn't use PurpleUp.