Question about Byssal glands/threads

seamandrew

I've just purchased a Maxima clam and stupidly, I placed it in a rather precarious spot (flat rock wasn't exactly stable). A big old hermit crab must of climbed on with the clam (about 3" across) and knocked the rock over last night. This morning, I found a more secure place for my new clam, but I found that the clam had jettisoned its byssal glands and threads. Is this a cause for concern? Do these grow back like the fans on feather dusters do? I know in some species of clams, the byssal glands are discarded and they rely on weight to keep them firm in the substrate, but Maxima is not listed in my literature as one of the species that does this. This clam is relatively young. This is my first clam and it seems to be doing very well today as the gorgeous mantle is on display and it periodically sucks it in when my purple firefish comes over to inspect it or I get too close with my big fat head. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

S

saxman

Rock-dwelling clams such as T. maxima and T. crocea rely on attaching themselves (via byssal threads), which can be discarded and regrown. T. maxima also on occasion uses the scutes on its valves to partially burrow into the rockwork by clapping its valves together repeatedly. These species don't lose their byssal glands, as they'd never be able to reattach themselves. In fact, if the byssal organ is damaged, the clam usually dies.
Larger substrate-dwellers such as T. derasa, T. squamosa, T. gigas,
and H. Hippopus
rely on thier size and sheer weight to keep tthem in place.
You might want to get a small, flat piece of LR or a clam halfshell to sit your clam in and let it attach so you can move it around in necessary. Sometimes it helps to put these just below the surface of the substrate and sit the clam on top so the clam can "hunker down" and attach. After that, it's EZ to relocate the clam to its final spot.
I highly recommend James Fatheree's book Giant Clams in the Sea and Aquarium"
. It's the current clamkeeper's "bible".
HTH

seamandrew

Good news, I checked the clam this morning and it has created some new threads! I guess the glands are indeed still there. Phew!