question about InTank media basket with fuge insert and pods??

pinky327

so i think i want to get this inserts for my 29 gallon bio cube from inTank really like the idea a fuge without having to scrape the black paint . but i have a question about pods in the fuge section?? is it possible to grow pods in it and if so will they be able to move from the basket to the tank and back again? i was mainly concerned with the filter sections in the media basket? it suggests filter floss on top then bags of chempure or what not, can pods go through them or around them to make it back in to the fuge section for safety and breeding? actually this applies to any set up with a filter on the beginning how do the pod get back?.... my other option was to just get a media basket and let the remaining space in the chamber be a fuge without a basket havent decided.... aslo i need to take out the bio balls from reading it seems the best option is to take a few out every dew days to let the take keep pace with the change. is this correct. any input is greatly appreciated.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky327 http:///t/397148/question-about-intank-media-basket-with-fuge-insert-and-pods#post_3538818
so i think i want to get this inserts for my 29 gallon bio cube from inTank really like the idea a fuge without having to scrape the black paint . but i have a question about pods in the fuge section?? is it possible to grow pods in it and if so will they be able to move from the basket to the tank and back again? i was mainly concerned with the filter sections in the media basket? it suggests filter floss on top then bags of chempure or what not, can pods go through them or around them to make it back in to the fuge section for safety and breeding? actually this applies to any set up with a filter on the beginning how do the pod get back?.... my other option was to just get a media basket and let the remaining space in the chamber be a fuge without a basket havent decided.... aslo i need to take out the bio balls from reading it seems the best option is to take a few out every dew days to let the take keep pace with the change. is this correct. any input is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Copepods are tiny little critters, amphipods are a little larger and then there are isopods....LOL a refugium houses them all. The adults usually stay in the fuge to breed and the smaller little ones get pushed out by the water flow seeding the display, some are eaten and others find a way to hide and survive to breed in the rocks.

Back in the day, I wasn't doing regular maintenance on my canister, the amphipods were very happy breeding away in there. I'm sure whatever material you have in the filter won't bother them at all.

pinky327

Hi flower Thanks so much for the reply, guess the lil guys will find anything that works as a home if we want them there or not lol. Makes sense the big ones stay and the lil one make it to the display. I have some now in the tank but have been wondering if they are getting stuck on my filter floss and dying... I didn't know if I should like cut the fliter so some water can go past hoping they could too.... Also wondering how people feel about these inserts I read a lot where ppl just put everything in the empty chambers no baskets at all, so I'm wondering if its worth it or not. I'm gonna get the fish saver for sure I already lost 1 fish over the back don't want that to happen again! Any one got input in the bio ball removal I don't want to start till I get some advice!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky327 http:///t/397148/question-about-intank-media-basket-with-fuge-insert-and-pods#post_3538901
Hi flower Thanks so much for the reply, guess the lil guys will find anything that works as a home if we want them there or not lol. Makes sense the big ones stay and the lil one make it to the display. I have some now in the tank but have been wondering if they are getting stuck on my filter floss and dying... I didn't know if I should like cut the fliter so some water can go past hoping they could too.... Also wondering how people feel about these inserts I read a lot where ppl just put everything in the empty chambers no baskets at all, so I'm wondering if its worth it or not. I'm gonna get the fish saver for sure I already lost 1 fish over the back don't want that to happen again! Any one got input in the bio ball removal I don't want to start till I get some advice!

Remove it a little at a time, such as 1/4th of them per week or something along those lines....so the good bacteria can adjust and find other places to build their colonies.

pinky327

Sweet I'll be taking it slow then. I removed a handful just now they were really clean, maybe the nasty ones are lower I can't really see in the back well and have only cleaned the balls a few times they are such a pain in the butt so I'll be happy to be done with them. The only reason I kept them in this long is the sound its so loud without anything in that second chamber! I'm gonna take this slow and watch my water I only have 1 fish and snails and crabs no coral to harm so let's hope everyone deals with the changes well!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky327 http:///t/397148/question-about-intank-media-basket-with-fuge-insert-and-pods#post_3538926
Sweet I'll be taking it slow then. I removed a handful just now they were really clean, maybe the nasty ones are lower I can't really see in the back well and have only cleaned the balls a few times they are such a pain in the butt so I'll be happy to be done with them. The only reason I kept them in this long is the sound its so loud without anything in that second chamber! I'm gonna take this slow and watch my water I only have 1 fish and snails and crabs no coral to harm so let's hope everyone deals with the changes well!

A little filter floss in that chamber will be easier to replace, and keep the noise level down.

silverado61

A little filter floss in that chamber will be easier to replace, and keep the noise level down.
maybe a filter sock?

pinky327

hey figured i would do a lil update, so far taking the bio balls out slowly. im seeing an increase in algae but that could be because of the increasing levels which was what lead me to take them out in the first place.. so im upping my water changes and cut my lights back two hours. i dont have any coral so no harm there. but i have noticed people posting that they only feed every other day, is
that ok?? i thought salt water fish needed to eat multiple times a day? i have freshwater and i feed every two to three days and they are fine but i never thought to do that with the salt tank. whats every ones opinion on this??