Question about mag drive pump I bought

debdeb

I was at an auction last weekend put on by a local fish club and bought an Iwaki 40RLXT mag drive pump for $75. I think it was a pretty good deal since they seem pretty expensive on line. I probably put the cart before the horse but here goes. I am planning an upgrade to a larger tank. Size hasn't been settled on but anywhere from 90 to 125 gallons. Is this pump a good pump to use and what size sump would you recommend? I know I'll have lots of plumbing questions down the road but I'm a bit worried that I spent money on this pump and it won't be right for what I'm planning. I think it's about 1200 gph.

acrylic51

Not a bad deal....Iwaki pumps are nice a little noisey at times, but very dependable.....Iwaki and mag drive are 2 different pumps or did you buy both for $75?
The first question you need to decide on is what size tank you plan to get, and what are you planning on keeping in the tank? Depending on what size tank you get and space constraints it's hard to give an exact answer or honest answer.....If your planning to house everything under the tank inside the stand you would try to place the biggest sump/fuge possible that you could fit underneath it, but you have to allow room to mount the pump as well since it's external, but there are ways around that as well......

squidd

American motor (wmd) or Jap motor (md)..?
Either way decent price if new...
1200 gph @4' is decent and about right for either a closed loop or sump return...for the tank sizes mentioned...
Just be sure your over flow is ordered to be able to handle it...if your going for the sump return...

squidd

Iwakis are magneticly driven...(rather than shaft)
but not to be confused with Danner Supreme "Mag Drive" pumps...

coachklm

Originally Posted by Squidd
Iwakis are magneticly driven...(rather than shaft)
but not to be confused with Danner Supreme "Mag Drive" pumps...
was just going to say that dang, beat me to it...
brands:
iwaki
danner
type:
magnetic drive

debdeb

It is a new in the box WMD American motor. I didn't realize that there was a brand called Mag Drive. I'm sure I'll have many questions when it comes time to get my new tank. My husband wants to make the canopy and stand so we need to decide on size soon. I don't know for sure if it will be a reef or fowlr (and assorted inverts). We are interested in some of the fish and inverts that we can't put into a reef tank, but I really enjoy the corals I have in the tank we have now and want more. A LFS near me will make a 48" long X 24" wide X 24" deep tank for us very reasonable. I like the idea of the 24" width because it will allow me to have plenty of room for design and open sand bed. I think he said that it would be 110 gallons but I'm not sure. That is probably what we will end up getting. Right now I'm taking it slow while I learn more. We rushed into our 37 gallon tank 8 months ago and made the usual newbie mistakes. It's doing okay but I know there is a lot more I need to learn.