Question for the tang police

mario

I understand my 37 gal tank is way too small for a grown up tang but would be possible to purchase a small tang (either a yellow or a blue) and keep it until he reaches size X and trade it in for another small one? Do they need 5 feet of tank also when they are small?
If an 8” fish needs a 5 feet long tank can a 4” fish be happy with 2 ½ feet?
My LFS has tiny blue and yellow tangs that are ½ to ¾ inches.
How fast do tangs grow? Basically how long before they need a bigger tank?
Please note that I’m just trying to understand if a tang can be happy in a smaller environment, not just surviving. If not I will just forget about it and stick with a properly sized fish.

cgrant

from what i have read I guess it is not the size of the tang, tangs in general like lots of room to swim, I have read you need a 6 foot tank.

S

sinner's girl

yep, not size, they need swimming room, little guy would stressed after a awhile.
min of 75gl or 6ft, depending on what you read. I have a 75gl, but I couldn't really find anyone who kept a yellow long term in a 75gl, so I'm not getting one, I'll wait a few years till I have a bigger tank.

moby

I think the problem you will encounter with tangs is they are very active swimmers. This means they need lots of room to do their thing. Even small tangs are very mobile and the tank you have would drive them nuts. Think of it this way would you want to live in your closet? Even if you were only 3 feet tall would you be happy?
Bummer, I know, but better to wait until you are ready to get that bigger aquarium IMO.
Also they require good, stable water quality. This is challenging for new hobbiest and more so in the size tank you have due to the small volume of water. Big tanks are more stable.
I'm glad you are asking first, I don't think anyone will jump on you for asking. But be careful, a lot of folks here ask for answers and then do whatever they wanted even when the evidence suggest otherwise or they don't get the answer they wanted. That usually starts the ball rolling for hostile replys.
There are lots of fish that would do well in your tank that are just as pretty and fun to watch. :happyfish
Moby

saltwater8

Originally Posted by moby
I'm glad you are asking first, I don't think anyone will jump on you for asking.
Moby

mario

Originally Posted by moby
IBut be careful, a lot of folks here ask for answers and then do whatever they wanted even when the evidence suggest otherwise or they don't get the answer they wanted.
Then what's the purpose of asking?

Thanks everybody, I will give up on the tangs idea and look for something else

fishguy83

Just to add my 2 cents...
Not only is it space (although that is the main reason)...but I just don't think it is a good ideas to purchase a fish, just to plan to trade it in when it gets larger... It is stressful enough to get the fish to your DT, let it finish out its life there!
But props for researching and asking before just doing it!

FYI, I wanted a tang as well, and I have a 37g...but gave up on that idea after researching.

mopar9012

Originally Posted by mario
Then what's the purpose of asking?

Thanks everybody, I will give up on the tangs idea and look for something else

your not the only one...i want a tang really bad...but i only have a 29 gallon....

N

nereef

there are plenty of fish and inverts that would work in a 37. you could do a dwarf angel, or clowns, or a goby and pistol shrimp, or basslets. you get the picture. there are tons of choices of fish and inverts that stay under 3 or 4 inches.

rara12

I work at a pet shop and although we have only had thst small hippo tang for two weeks it already has hlle,in a 4ft tank. I would say no

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would not be quick to attract the "Tang Police" to this thread. I have seen this diligent group literally rip such suggestions as this to shreds, along with the author.

moby

I don't know which is funnier, the folks with the uncontrollable desire to own tangs (okay I confess I'm one too) or the folks who are foaming at the mouth when you mention the "T" word!

To all the tang police please don't hunt me down and beat me I'm a father for gods sake!!
Moby