questions about refugium please!!!

coorsxman

i thinking about buying a sump off ---- the size is 45'' X 15'' X 16'' comes with bio balls ,refugium with light in the 2nd and skimmer in 3rd , 1St question is it to small for my tank i have a 240 gal i talk to the guy he said it would be big enough can anyone check this out ? Item number: 190267830010 and can i put the skimmer out side the sump and if i can what should i put in the 3rd spot. thx you

errattiq

From those dimensions I'm guessing its about a 50-60ish gallon sump which is a pretty decent volume sump for your system. It will do the job well but some with tanks that size, people tend to prefer sumps that most snugly fit under their stands for the extra water volume. Thats the way I see it, if you got the room under the stand, might as well make it useful to the system. But your sump would be fine, I mean that would be almost 300 gallons of water lol, pretty stable system if you ask me. If I were you, the last section of the sump with the skimmer on the outside would be my place for any supplemental equipment you have to hide it from your main display, you can even install a permanent plumbing setup for easy water changes (kind of just a powerhead with tubing/pvc with a cord unplugged until you want to do a water change then just plug it in). Be careful with the bioballs though, do some searching on this forum, you will see there are pro's and con's to them, pro's being surface area for bacterial growth and con's for being notorious detritous trappers and nitrate producers if not cleaned frequently (just the basic argument). Good Luck!!
-Josh

coorsxman

if i dont use bio balls what can i put in its place? and can u put fish and crabs , snails in the refugium tank? its going to be below my tank

al mc

Live rock rubble or small live rock pieces versus bioballs

As to the question of if it is big enough.....Like everything in this hobby........ 'It Depends'..........What is the bioload in the DT?
What are you going to have in the 'fuge'....lots of macoalgae?
IMHO, the fuge you are considering is a good size if you have a moderate bioload and plan on having rock rubble and lots of macroalgae.