Quick ID please

pepito113

The last few days I noticed this white things growing in some spots in my tank but mainly in my wet/ dry system. They are not pods. They dont seem to move and stay in one spot. It almost looks like some type of sponge or something growing. Can anyone id and tell me if its good or bad? How much is it going to spread? And should I do something about it?
There are a few pics so just scroll down. Thanks.

geoj

This is a harmless Scypha sponge. They are very small, and usually found in our overflow boxes and down in the sump. Attached to rock, glass or acrylic or even your plumbing, they may be about the size of a grain of rice or perhaps larger. These little filter-feeders are reef-safe.

pepito113

Ok. Yeah that is what is looks like. The size of a grain of rice. I am just wondering how much will I get. One day nothing was there. Then a few showed up. And in a few days I have a good amount. And I am seeing a few in my tank. Well I quess I will continue to monitor them.

geoj

I have not had them become a nuisance, they are a indicator of water quality and like diatoms go away after some time.

What are you using for you water source?

pepito113

I have a 6 stage r/o water filter. Then I use instant ocean salt to make my own mix. I dont have any corals in my tank right now. All my levels are normal. When u wrote its an indicator of water quality. Is that good water quality or bad water quality? ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. salinity 1.025, calcium 410. phospate .5, temp 82.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepito113 http:///forum/thread/380412/quick-id-please#post_3311005
I have a 6 stage r/o water filter. Then I use instant ocean salt to make my own mix. I dont have any corals in my tank right now. All my levels are normal. When u wrote its an indicator of water quality. Is that good water quality or bad water quality? ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. salinity 1.025, calcium 410. phospate .5, temp 82.
So like Bang was saying, Silicates limit their growth just like it does for diatoms. Most of us start off with them and they die out after some time.