Quiet Please!!!!!!

friction32

This is the overflow on my reef tank. My wife says either make it less noisey or make it(the tank) go away!!! Any suggestions on how to make it quit making a slurping sound??? THANKS!!!!!

pyro

I'm sortof in the same situation as you, only w/o the wife. Do you have a T on the outside of the tank? I can't tell from your picture. I'm soon to do this, as I've heard it helps, but install a ball valve (I'm goign to spend the extra bucks and get a gate valve) at the bottom of the plumbing right before the sump. Close it partially to keep the tube about 3/4 full of water so the water doesn't form a waterfall on the way down.
Just what I've heard, project is goign to be started in about 2 weeks.

friction32

Tnx Pyro.....I have a gate vavle installed right before the sump and I have tried several different positions and whenever I tweek it I have to adjust the flow of the pump to compensate....so the only difference it makes is if I want a fast gurgling sound or a slow one.....

shawnts106

yup, is it adjustable.. if so put it under the water... if not then just stick a spong over it or in it... or both.. just experiment and see what works... sponges are ussually inexpensive and can be used for a variaty of things... this including one of them.. we had a tank at work like this... drove us all nuts... finnally we got an idea *me acctually* to stick a spong over and in it.. it worked... must have quited that thing by over 85%
good luck!!!

pyro

Do you have a T on the back? It's hard to explain, but from your bulkhead to your sump, right after the edge of the tank, do you go into an elbow or a T?