Quiting The Hobby !! Heeelp

yupi1982

QUITING THE HOBBY
to many attemps and fishes just die ....
yesterday i got home and saw my long nose buterfly, my henoiochus, my bicolor blenny,gold band marron,mandarin,and most importan my orange shoulder tang .
........D E A D !

it was not like a fungus it was like an acid over their bodies, like eating their skins , patches .
( the reason i did not notice this ( i think) was becase my anemonie was dead in the back of the tank ( couild 've my anomonie high the nitrates that much , or it just spread a killing fungus troughout the tank ??)
I have a 125 g reff tank

amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 100
i did 50 % water change and still is 100
i dont now what to do guys .....is just too f.... sad that the efford and the money is not enough for this hobby .

i istill have my invencibles yellow tank blue tank,red coris,and sailfing tank alive!!! :help:
could my corals help me lowering the nitrates?
any other advice??
please i am just so dissapointed!!!

Alejandro

yimmy

REALLY sorry to here about this, don't give up, you'll sell all your stuff and just be like time to get some more new stuff. I would take all the fish that are in the tank out into a QT tank. Nitrates probably did them in though, Keep doing waterchanges. Sorry to hear about this

viet-tin

What type of filtration do you have? That sounds like quite a lot of fish in a 125. Maybe they had hlle?

coachklm

wow what a dissappointment sorry to hear that bro id do another 50% WC tommorow then 25% every other day untill you see your levels drop. I really dont know what i would do if it happened to me. The only thing i can think of is your anenome...nothing else ive seen can crash your tank that quick---besides a change in temp. how long were you gone? it could have been a chain reaction wiyth the toxins first anenome then your weakest fish both those couldve killed the next ..so on...so on..

razelynn

the anemone polluted the water do a 25% water change and get poly filter to put in your sump to absorb the exceess nitrates.

symon

I see you have a 125 gal tank, But what kind of lighting, how long has the tank been up?!?!?
I can tell you that if you had an anomone die in there, it probably produced toxins into your water that would most likely kill other fish! Why did it die, was there enough light, have you tested for copper, alot of questions to be answered , help the experts here out !
give the a full spectrum of information, these folks are awsome and always willing to help!
I am very sorry for the loss of you fish! I feel your pain!

J

jdragunas

corals won't lower nitrates, so you have to do water changes. Chances are the dead anemone released toxins into your tank, and your fish were poisoned. The anemone probably died from lack of proper lighting, as well as high nitrates... How long has your tank been setup?

yupi1982

i have550 W OF PC lightning
AND MY TANK IS BEEN GOOD EVER SINCE I STARTED 1 YEAR AGO !!
:scared:
in one day 6 fishes die !!!

anymore questions ??
HELPPP

J

jdragunas

well, pc lighting isn't good enough for an anemone... doesn't matter how much wattage you have. That's most likeley the cause of death for the anemone, which is the cause of death for your fish. Don't be disheartened. Things like this happen, but you can't give up!
You should remove the living fish from the tank to a QC tank and run carbon to remove the toxins from the anemone. You should also do a 50% water change, and then 25% every other day until your nitrates are at the correct level (should be 20ppm or less - 0 is ideal for a reef tank). Please don't buy another anemone until you have MH lighting. The death of an anemone and 6 fish will definately spike your ammonia and nitrates, so you have to do water changes quickly to help your other corals and fish survive. Go do it NOW!

mr_bill

I'm very sorry here that, poor fish.
You say about 1year running, and I bet your filtration system is in need of a once over. It's probably full of waste and is now unable to filter it out any more. Any media will need to be rinsed out with salt water. What are your nitrates at now?

69shauno

what about mushrooms if one dies will it do that to a tank ?
changed my tank around and can't find it must have but a rock on top of it

yupi1982

Originally Posted by 69shauno
what about mushrooms if one dies will it do that to a tank ?
changed my tank around and can't find it must have but a rock on top of it
no mushrooms dont released toxins , well most of them dont
about my system , i have the works.....chiller, wt dry with carbon 24/7 protein skimer and upgrading to MH
as for thew anemoni .....I HATE THEM and dont ever want to buy one in my life......

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS FOR CHERING ME UP !!!
gives me strainght to continue !!! :thinking:

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by jdragunas
well, pc lighting isn't good enough for an anemone... doesn't matter how much wattage you have. !

i beg to differ- the depth of the tank is in question-
i successfully kept a bta with pc lighting-

ophiura

I'm sorry that the tank is in bad shape again...there was an issue with an ick outbreak within the last year as well? Had that totally cleared up?
IMO it was also quite overstocked, and overstocked tanks don't give you any room for error (especially with a lot of tangs).
125 reef:
long nose buterfly
henoiochus
bicolor blenny
gold band marron
mandarin
orange shoulder tang .
yellow tang
blue tang
red coris
sailfin tang
There was a thread about a clown trigger at some point as well?
I am afraid to say that you may continue to have problems if you keep trying to keep so many fish. JMO.
A dead anemone could definitely cause an ammonia spike that could be a major issue. But the nitrate issue at 100 (definitely NOT ideal for a reef tank but not fatal to fish) is not, IMO, the cause of the fish deaths. I think you may need to look elsewhere for the cause.

ruaround

I would agree with the over stocking statement... what about the 50% water change and shocking the system by changing the stability of the water??? IMO do a 10% change every two to 3 days over the course of 2 weeks and DONT ADD ANOTHER FISH...
what about biofiltration and mechanical...spend your $$$ on this to keep your water clean instead of adding to the bio-load

ophiura

Hmmm, good thought there....
Was the 50% change before or after the dead fish?
I am pretty darn positive that your fish did not die from nitrate levels at 100. It is possible that they died from an over eager water change, or from an ammonia spike from the anemone, or some other totally unrelated factor.

1journeyman

Yupi, sorry for your losses.
Sounds like you have been having a rough time. I humbly suggest you buy a couple of good books. Read up good. Learn about filtration methods, inverts, fish needs, etc.
That your fish died suddenly, together, points to something other than disease. Had your anemone been looking bad? Could a toxin have been introduced into the tank?

pashari

I doubt high nitrates was the cause. I've been battling high nitrates in my tank for the past few weeks. First time I've tested in over a year (hang my head in shame) and while all my other parameters were fine, nitrates have been off the charts.
I have a 60 gal FOWLR, though, so no corals. I do have quite a few inverts, though, but they are all doing fine, even with the high nitrates. I'm still trying to bring them down, though. Tweaking my filtration and doing water changes. I'm changing anywhere from 10% to 35% every other day. Nitrates are still off the charts, but it's taking the full "5 minutes" now to change the color in my testing tube so I know they are coming down, just slowly.
Anyway, my fish are fine (exept for one tang who has HLLE) despite the high nitrates. Doubt that that killed your fish. Would suspect the anenome.
lisa

kaotik

I have heard/read that when an anemone dies it will release toxins into the water. That could be the cause of the fish deaths. i agree with ophiura that the nitrates didnt kill the fish but I know for sure that nitrates that high would kill the anemone.
Your lighting would be considered moderate, so it is a little low for an anemone, which usually require high lighting. I dont suggest you get another.
I would agree that your nitrates are too high because your tank is overstocked. Definitely do not add any more fish. Do a 20% water change once a week until your nitrates drop. Also, if you have any bio-balls, bio-rings, bio-wheels, sponges, or anything that would hold nitrates... clean them. I would suggest cleaning one type at a time each week so that you do not completely wipe out your beneficial bacteria.
If you run any activated carbon in any of your filtration, you should change it so that it filters out as much of the toxins as possible.
Just my .02¢, hope it helps.