Radiant Wrasse vs Blue Devil

wax32

My LFS finally got in a Radiant Wrasse and I bit the bullet and paid the money for him. Those of you who know my (EDIT: 70 gallon) tank will realize there is a problem... I have mean fish!
So, I got home and tore the tank apart and got out the Strawberry Dottyback, the Domino Damsel and the Blue Devil Damsel. They are chilling in the sump ATM, till I can bring them to the LFS tomorrow.
Here is my question: how many of you think I should try to keep the blue devil? He didn't bother my golden wrasse when I had it. My dottyback terrorized it though, so he's for sure out. My domino has really gotten aggressive recently (like I knew it would) so I think he's out too.
Is it worth the risk to try to keep the blue devil? He is a mature male with full georgeous coloration so I hate to get rid of him. My wife actually likes him a lot, as do I!
I must admit, the tank is much more tranquil without the dottyback/damsel circus that was in there. Right now there is just the wrasse, a watchman goby and my spotted mandarin.
What should I do? I want to poll the mob!
Please post comments, especially if you have experience with the species involved.

puffer32

If your tank is large enough, and sounds like you already rearranged the rock work, so it might work. my 2 fairy wrasses hold their own against some pretty tough fish, so you could be ok, but i didn't vote cause i don't know your tank size.

puffer32

I am not sure i would chance it in a 70 gal, sorry, maybe you could leave it in the sump until the wrasse settles in and give it a try. Especially if its not a real aggressive fish.

wax32

Halichoeres wrasses like the radiant and golden don't seem to be quite as scrappy as fairy wrasses from Cirrhilabrus, my old Debelius' Fairy Wrasse was a fighter! I'm kind of leaning towards "no" also, but... the devil never bothered my golden. Hmm! Damn fish and their personalities!
Here is a shot of the young radiant:

puffer32

Very nice fish
And if your damsel never bothered your other wrasse, you could try it and if it doesn't work out you can always tear your tank apart again
I would give the new arrival some alone time for a week or so, then try it.

wax32

Well, I went ahead and put the blue devil back into the tank last night after lights out. When I got home this evening, the fish are all swimming around like best buddies. If the devil is going to cause any problems, he isn't showing any signs of doing so. He is ignoring both the wrasse and the new hawkfish I also added while he was in the sump.
Keep your fingers crossed!

wax32

For those that were interested:
After four months of cohabitation: The blue devil has not bothered the wrasse at all. The wrasse on the other hand pestered the long-nose hawkfish I added to the tank and the hawkfish ended up jumping out and dying.
I have since put the domino damsel I had in the sump back in the tank and on occasion (mostly feeding time) he chases the wrasse and the blue devil some, but not enough to worry me. (He has been in the general population for over a month now.)

smoothie

I would worry about the Domino causing the radiant to jump tank more. My blue devil and radiant play nice, but the wrasse is a little bigger than Satan's Little Helper.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by wax32
For those that were interested:
After four months of cohabitation: The blue devil has not bothered the wrasse at all. The wrasse on the other hand pestered the long-nose hawkfish I added to the tank and the hawkfish ended up jumping out and dying.
I have since put the domino damsel I had in the sump back in the tank and on occasion (mostly feeding time) he chases the wrasse and the blue devil some, but not enough to worry me. (He has been in the general population for over a month now.)
Chalk one up for damsels actually being able to get along with other fish, despite what many believe.

wax32

Oddly enough, the wrasse jumped to his doom! Maybe the domino finally bothered it enough. So, maybe more research is needed!