Radical idea, BS or true?

jon321

At this forum:
{EDIT link - Please do not post to other forums, thanks
though not a reef site, some of the content (eg an avatar) may be objectionable in this case :scared: }
The poster Will, claims that you MUST wear proper hand protection whenever doing anything in your aquarium due to pH and dH fluctuations. He also claims that you cant double bag fish because the bags rubbing together causes static which is a major cause of ich. He has not supplied any hard evidence. What is your ideas?
Jon

ophiura

I think he has no basis for what he's saying. It makes no sense whatsoever, IMO. You should wear hand protection esp if moving LR due to various stings and such.
As for the rubber bands, I think that is really really silly.

jon321

Ok, good to know Im not just going crazy. I know about gloves and live rock, although I dont do that and have gotten a few pretty bad burns (feels like when you touch that pink insulation without gloves), but Ive NEVER heard of using gloves for say, water changes, placing seaweed selects, scrubbing algae, hand feeding, etc. And the baggy idea doesnt make any sense from a physics or chemistry perspective, so I assumed it was bunk. Anyone else even heard of these?
Jon

dadummy

WOW! how about this, make sure you buy two fish, have them both double bagged. then put the double bags in a single bag together. This will reverse the polls and eliminate the static electricty
or
will the excessive baggage cause something really really bad to happen
or
was the person who made the theory of static electicity double bagged
or
As for the rubber bands, I think that is really really silly.[/QUOTE]