Raw shrimp to cycle??

nj27000

Alright I know I am wearing my welcome out with all these darn questions...LOL....but the more I read the more questions I have... Last one for the day I prom....perhaps I shouldnt say that..:}
At any rate what is up with the raw shrimp? I have some jumbo shrimp in the frige,,, I was gonna fix them for dinner...but first things first :}... I am 2 weeks into cycling my tank,,,what do I do just throw those dead raw shrimp in there and leave them.... how many do I put in there? For your FYI 55 gallon, crushed coral, some live sand, I know I need help...thats why I am here :} Thanks in advance for your response....

cyn

What are you currently using to cycle? LR? I would say it depends on your water readings whether or not to add the shrimp. If you have not had an ammonia spike, then by all means toss one in. After it starts to decay some, remove it.
cyn

nj27000

Thanks for your reply... I am just cycling with live sand and 3 damsels and a lonesome crab. I did water testing which showed high ammonia levels
Its pay day so I will go to the fish store and get some live rock.. any suggestion on which kind is good to get... will they already have interesting creatures in them?

nj27000

Thanks for your reply... I am just cycling with live sand and 3 damsels and a lonesome crab. I did water testing which showed high ammonia levels
Its pay day so I will go to the fish store and get some live rock.. any suggestion on which kind is good to get... will they already have interesting creatures in them?

cyn

If you are showing high Ammonia, I would wait on the rock. You will just kill off alot of the growth if you add it now. As for what kind of rock, that depends on you, what you like and can afford. If you feel you must add rock now try the un cured kind, it may extend your cycle, but you will have cured rock by the time the cycle ends.
HTH,
cyn

ren

Since you are using damsels no need to use shrimp to cycle. Your crab will do good to survive the cycle - inverts are very suspectable to the poor conditions of cycling. For 2 weeks you should have seen a high ammonia spike and it should be dropping now. You should also be seeing the nitrite climbing.