Re-sealing a display tank

snakeblitz33

Does anyone know a good way of removing old silicone from a tank besides razer blades, acetone and alcohol?
Should I save the top and bottom black trim on a tank or completely replace the trimwork?
Does the trimwork go on a tank during the siliconing up process or is it added after the main silicone job is done?
Are there any jigs that one would have to create out of wood to make resealing a large (240g) tank an easier job?

acrylic51

Seth as far as your resealing the tank, you have the answer already......As far as trim work that would go on after the fact. As far as jigs for holding the panels in place would be a good idea....Not that it's needed, but makes things handy, since those panels are long and heavy......Just my .02

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/392639/re-sealing-a-display-tank#post_3490155
Seth as far as your resealing the tank, you have the answer already......As far as trim work that would go on after the fact. As far as jigs for holding the panels in place would be a good idea....Not that it's needed, but makes things handy, since those panels are long and heavy......Just my .02
Thanks bud.
I bought the 240g tank but I'm not going to set it up, and I am not going to reseal it after all. I already found another buyer for it and should be out of my hair in a couple more weeks if things go as planned.

snakeblitz33

Man, I missed you around here. It's been dull without yah!
A lot of other people have left as well. I was about to loose my mind. Glad to see you back.

acrylic51

I might swing in from time to time.....A lot on the plate right now, but you know how to get a hold of me......

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/392639/re-sealing-a-display-tank#post_3490175
I might swing in from time to time.....A lot on the plate right now, but you know how to get a hold of me......
LOL, yeah, I've been texting you off and on... lol. Met with no answer most of the time. I just assumed you were really busy. I understood.
Anyways, glad to see you back for the time being.

acrylic51

Sorry about that Seth.....Trying to stay busy and focused and trying to get my family life back in order.......

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392639/re-sealing-a-display-tank#post_3487895
Does anyone know a good way of removing old silicone from a tank besides razer blades, acetone and alcohol?
Should I save the top and bottom black trim on a tank or completely replace the trimwork?
Does the trimwork go on a tank during the siliconing up process or is it added after the main silicone job is done?
Are there any jigs that one would have to create out of wood to make resealing a large (240g) tank an easier job?
Nope - you basically know how to do it.
Black trim goes on after you've sealed the tank up.
You could make a couple of jigs, but you will mainly have to have a couple of other people to help you move those big heavy glass panes around.
Good luck!