Ready to give up.

Just about ready to give up on this hobby. I guess I'm out another 150 dolloars for buying these.
This is my leather on the first day.

wamp

Some leathers, including colt, do not ship very well. This could be the cause. I had a beautiful Big colt. I took it too a lady that I sold my tank too and now it is dieing. I think, not for sure, that the a very temperature sensetive. I come to this theroy due to the fact that I have gotten colts that looked awsome in the store but by the time I go them home and the temp has dropped some they were almost dieing in the bag. Same thing with the one I took her.

stacyt

Colts are very sensitive to changes in any water parameters. I was messing around yesterday, bad idea nothing was wrong just changing a couple of things, anyways adjusted the PH and brought the temp down a couple of degrees. Today my colt is shriveled up. He always perks back up after a couple of days. Anytime I mess with something he always shrivels up.

david s

sorry to hear your loss I lost a finger leather that was doing good till it fell over and went under a rock for a day then slowly witherd away I dont really know why it did not come back to life I just know all my other corals were doing fine anw water peramiters were good

jonthefb

i had agiant toadstool leather, that did wonderfully for about three years. they all of a sudden its polyps never opened,but it still seemed alive, well next thing i know it slumps over, and when i try to see whats wrong, there is a giant hole in the center of the stalk. i think something predatory was introduced into the tank, that attacked the leather, still dont know what happened1
good, luck, sorry about your loss
jon

Thanks for the replies! I gave my readings up above. As far a lights, I have 1 175 MH - 12000K, 1 15 watt flour. 5000K, and 1 - 15 watt actinic flour. I have tried them away from the MH and moved them different places. At first with moderate flow, then low flow. Nothing seems to work.
I have 2 big bubble corals, 1 scolymia coral, assorted mushrooms, a red gorgonian, coral banded shrimp, snails, scarlet hermits, button polyps, riccordia mushrooms. All seem to be doing well except for the leathers.

shnookums

We have a toadstool leather that was beautiful about a month ago, he too slumped over, algae grew on it, it was nasty, but i made the hubby keep it in the tank, two days ago, it decided to come back out. they are tempermental. we have two colt corals, the oldest was looking funky, and we moved it to a different spot, now its happy, the other bigger one has done the same, havn't found its sweet spot in the tank yet.
moral of the story, don't give up if your parameters are ok. Good luck and keep us posted.

ironreef

Do you use po4 sponges? IME you can't kill leathers once your tanks established. I take them out dump them in different tanks. I frag them take frag out never even worry about temp changes. Some even overnight on nice day. they always do good. The only thing ime that will harm leathers beside stings from LPS or sps are po4 sponges. If you don't use sponges or your lps isn't stinging them then and the tank is heathy dunno

Nope, haven't used a phosphate sponge in 3 yrs. I use RO/DI, and have had no phosphates in years. I bought these corals to start fragging them. Doesn't even look like they will last the first week. Like I said, all the other inhabitants of the tank are doing fine. This truely has me stumped. I even did a 10 gallon water change today, and replaced 1 cartridge of my carbon in the emperor filter. All this just in case there may be toxins that I don't know about.
As far as my tank being established, It's been up and running for 5 yrs. Only one thing is different, and this is these two corals.

ironreef

sounds like you just got them and in a few days they died? I missed that part. Were the polyps expanded when you bought them? They weren't in the pics. Having an established tank I would just figure they weren't healthy? Another thing is what kinda lighting did they come from? I had a colt go into shock from light. it stayed closed for @2-3mo then came back strong. I would just keep them in med---mid high current and let them be. If they start to fall apart then I would get rid of them

The colt was very well extended the first day I had it. The finger leather has not shown a polyp, but the skin on the first day was a healthy color with good texture. I knew that they would have to be adjusted to the mh lighting, therefore I put them in the part of the tank that had the least amount of light and cut down on the time the lights were on.
Thanks for all the replies, I will just hope for the best and try to make everything as comfortable as possible.