Red alge how to remove it?

mombostic

If I could throw in my 2 cents, I would like to say your tank actually looks pretty clean to me.
I agree about getting rid of flake food. I ran out once and used some flakes while waiting on my usual brand of pellets to arrive, and in just a few days it caused an algae bloom. It craps up everything.
I've had some algae problems over the years, and I think flow is a huge issue. Make sure your intakes are nice and clear on all filters/powerheads/skimmers. You need flow inside the tank, but you also need to make sure you have plenty of surface agitation. I'm no expert, but that has been my experience.
If you have any type of sponge or pre-sponge on a filter or powerhead, I would advise removing them. In my experience, they are little more than a crap trap. I'm also not a big fan of any of the filter floss or similar types of filter media that collect and hold waste, unless you are willing to rinse them every single day.
I agree with a previous poster who said to calm down. I think your tank looks pretty good. You can never recreate the perfection of nature--it's an artificial environment, and we have to do our best to maintain it. Everyone has some algae. Someone also said it doesn't go away over night. Just try out some of the tips on here and wait it out. Keep doing your water changes and suck up what algae you can. I've been guilty of letting my clean-up crew get too low--make sure to keep those stocked.
Good luck!

T

tailgate1979

Im going to have to break down and restock my CUC, and get me another power head. I have never ordered anything off this site befor as far as live stock im sure I will be pleased with my purchase. Im going to start doing a 5gal water change every 3 days and change all my filters and carbon in both rena pumps. If I do change all filters and carbon at one time in both pumps will it hurt the biological filter?

deejeff442

if you have alot of lr and flow in the tank i dont even see why you need a filter anymore.you can replace the carbon but dont need mechanical filters with lr.they are good to help starting up the system for the first few months but the lr will and should always be your #1 filter

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389853/red-alge-how-to-remove-it/20#post_3449045
if you have alot of lr and flow in the tank i dont even see why you need a filter anymore.you can replace the carbon but dont need mechanical filters with lr.they are good to help starting up the system for the first few months but the lr will and should always be your #1 filter
At least a skimmer! I would never just depend on the live rock..JMO
Running carbon and some floss will help polish the water and keep it clear and beautiful. Do not replace all the filter materials at once. Always do one then the other alternating. Anything you have on the tank becomes part of the system and you should not disrupt the balance. Even if you decide to remove them...start with one then wait before removing the other.

deejeff442

not that i suggest it to someone new to the hobby but,i ran my 90 for over ten years with just lr ,sand,power heaeds and a rubbermaid sump with more rock rubble in it.
but i do not stock my tanks heavy.i have never been the type to squeeze one more fish in a tank.

snakeblitz33

I ran my old 90g with 100 pounds live rock, a few Bioballs and chaeto in the fuge. No skimmer. Lol. It did just fine.
Just keep plugging away, eventually you will beat it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389853/red-alge-how-to-remove-it/20#post_3449063
not that i suggest it to someone new to the hobby but,i ran my 90 for over ten years with just lr ,sand,power heaeds and a rubbermaid sump with more rock rubble in it.
but i do not stock my tanks heavy.i have never been the type to squeeze one more fish in a tank.
Well my skimmer is out of commision on the 90g and has been for a month at least. I have an aquaripure nitrate filter on it besides the live rock and sand. I have a refugium with about 4 inches of sand and some rock...not much and no macro algae. My lights were bad and are being replaced this week so maybe the coral will perk up...everything is looking pretty sad but the parameters aren't bad at all, nitrates are 0. phosphates are 0.05. I'm dripping Kalk to see how it does in bringing up my Alk and cal which always seem low...PH is 8.3
I only have 5 small fish in the tank and few corals. I want to add a small school (5-7) of blue reef chromis...I also just ordered a new CUC of snails and hermits.

beaslbob

IMHO you need to kill the lights and stop adding food. Sometimes it can take longer then a week for the cyano to die off.
Then resume with less lighting and feeding so the cyano stays away.
my .02

T

tailgate1979

I have took all my coral out and left the light off for a whole week.