red brain bleaching!

fedukeford

Ive had the red brain for about 1 month, and for the last week its started to bleach, and now i'd say its around 1/2 white, and the rest is a light red and green. the water parimeters are amm-0, trate-0, trite-0, ph 8.3-8.4, calcium 450, not sure what alk is right now, and i dont have a test kit for phosphates but im assuming they are a little high since there has been a cayno bloom recently. The lights are 2x250 watt MH, and 2x140 watt VHO's, the brain is almost directly under one of the MH's, and on the sandbed.
Anyone have any idea why its bleaching?? all other coral are doing fine (except for the fungia, but thats another story)
thanks,
feduke

fedukeford

really? ive heard of softies getting burned under halide, but i thought i was pretty safe to place LPS anywhere since the halides are only 250 watt...

J

jupoc911

the red brains are usually found in deeper waters. These guys require low to medium lighting. He should color back up once u get him out of the direct path of the halide. try feeding him som food to help the zooxanthelle reproduce.

fedukeford

OK, ive been regularly feeding coral accell, coral vite, and phytoplakton, so i think thats good for feeding. Should i put the brain in a shadow of one of the rocks, or just on the edges of the tank?

efishnsea

Originally Posted by fedukeford
OK, ive been regularly feeding coral accell, coral vite, and phytoplakton, so i think thats good for feeding. Should i put the brain in a shadow of one of the rocks, or just on the edges of the tank?
IMO....Shadow would be best for now until it recovers, you will know when the colors start to come back..... Same thing happened to mine too much light it recovered in a few weeks

fedukeford

ok, so i guess there is still some hope... i really want this brain to recover because it came from the same store that i got my fungia from, so if 2 corals died from the same store my parents said they wouldnt buy anymore coral from the store, but I know the store is a really good store...