Red Coris Wrasse - Enough space? Should I get one?

ashleigh234

I have a 85 gallon tank with the following fish - Scopas Tang (3-4 inch), Maroon Clown (3 inch), False Percula Clown (1 inch), Fox Face (3-4 inch), Fuzzy Dwarf Lion (3-4 inch), Coral Beauty (2-3 inch), Arrow Goby (3-4 inch) and 2 Damsels. 40kg of live rock. We have a sump which is holding about 10 gallons, with in sump skimmer (dont think its the best brand) and 5500 lph (1400 gal p/hour) return pump. We have a few corals as well, but not many.
Parameters are good except nitrates are up to 10 ppm at the moment, I will need to do a bigger water change as the 12% I did in the weekend only reduced it slightly, down from 20.
I saw a Red Coris Wrasse (4-5 inches) in our lfs for a good price and he is beautiful. The lfs told us that he should be ok in our tank with the other fish that we have and that space wont be an issue at this stage, when he gets closer to twice that size we may have a problem ... but if i get my way I will have a bigger tank by then anyway :)
Now, with the current set up I have, do you think I have the capacity to get him, or would I be best to leave it? Another option is to trade in (or give away) our Scopas Tang and Maroon/Tomato? Clown as I am really wanting nice bright colours in our tank, then that would leave decent space for one?
I have seen that the red coris will flip rocks etc to get to food, but if I keep just a few small rocks on the bottom with no corals near by that should keep him happy to look for food if he wants?
What are their eating habits like? I would imagine they are quite meaty eaters and have a large appetite, and they have a couple of little teeth as well.
Has anyone else got one of these? What are your experiences?

small triggers

I dont have a coris, but i have a lunare, and they are similar enough i would say not to do it. They need a LONG tank, even at 3-4 inches long my lunare paces my 150g 'cause its only 5 feet, they need lots of room, and with your other fish, i would just wait till you upgrade to around a 6 foot long tank and then add the coris, since they adjust well in any phase...

ashleigh234

How quickly do they grow? Our tank is 4ft so its not as long as your one, but do you think it would handle being in there? our lfs has had 20 something years experience with marine fish and he said it would be ok, i wouldnt be upgrading tanks for probably at least 6 months.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by Ashleigh234
http:///forum/post/3169549
our lfs has had 20 something years experience with marine fish and he said it would be ok,
That should be corrected. "They have 20 something years selling
marine fish."
Is the 85gal the worst home ever for a red coris and the stress be unbearable? No, far from it. Could the coris use a larger tank? Absolutely. Coris wrasses have the size and activity level of Thalassoma
wrasses (Lunare's) with less aggression.
With a 85gal, I'd said you have around 9 months to a year, till the Coris finds the tank cramped. Growth rate, you're probably looking around 1" every 6 months if well fed. If you're sure you're upgrading around 6 months, he should be fine for that time period.
All your fish should be fine, but any inverts will be fair game.

ashleigh234

The person at the lfs in question is actually the owner of the shop, the shop is devoted to fish only. He has a 300 gal or so display tank there as well, which is always something I have looked for when going to a new shop - if they dont have one, chances are no one there knows what they are on about.
Thanks for giving me that info, if we get him and in 6 months time the tank is too small, I will either upgrade or sadly find him a new home, so long as life goes to plan I will have my upgrade ... but you never know whats around the corner
How much do these guys eat at that size? Heaps i would think?
Do you think my tank is to cramped as it is, or should I give away my scopas tang and maroon clown that I am not too fond of - every now and then they chase the other fish around for a few seconds, nothing major, but they are my least fav in the tank.

pastor b.

I have a Corris Wrasse that I've had for about 3 years now,and its 8" long in my 150. It loves to sleep under the sand and crushed coral.The CW is a hardy,colorful fish,and can be very destructive. It will move lr around when in search for food. If you get a CW,make sure that you don't place any type of crustacean in your aquarium with it ,or the crustacean will become a meal,and it doesn't matter how large the shrimp,star fish,or crab is .The CW will attack anything resembling a crustacean,such as snails,so don't be fooled. As a CW gets older,it will also become more aggressive and will grow a set of teeth which can't be missed . Overall its a fun fish to watch and should be kept singly .