red corraline algae

julie

I am having a take over of red corraline algae on my live rock, what is the cause and what can I do?

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by julie
... what can I do?

Sit back and enjoy it. This is a good thing. You want coraline algae to grow in your tank. It's a sign of good water conditions.

bigarn

Originally Posted by julie
It is hard and crusty. My problem is, is that it is taking over some of my coral.
Coralline will grow on coral skeletons, but to my knowledge, not on live corals. :D

mombostic

Make absolutely sure it isn't red slime. Right before I took out my crushed coral and added sand, I noticed some red algae on the crushed coral in the back corner of my tank and on plastic cave thing that I have stuck on the back of the tank. (I would take the plastic thing out, but my tang and coral beauty live in it!) Anyway, when I started fooling with it, it rubbed off pretty easy with my finger. I took the crushed coral out and scrubbed that plastic thing in distilled water. So far so good. Coralline shouldn't be growing on your corals, I'm pretty sure. However, red slime will overtake and eventually smother them. Please make sure.