Red general star

jpa0741

Does a red general star look like it is deflating in the middle when he is eating? I know they expell their stomach when they eat. I have fed him when he was on the glass. He is on the sand and his middle will delate for a little while then it it look normal again. Might be dieing I don't know. I'm hoping he is just eating. Any ideas.
Thanks, Jeff

debbie

Usually when they eat the will give that puffed out appearance.
How big is your tank, how old is it and what is your salinity reading?
The best person here to help you with anything to do with stars is Ophiura. I am sure you will get a reply to this post real soon from Ophiura.
In the mean time do post the questions above as you will be asked that.

jpa0741

92 gallon, 2 months old (I know to new) salinty 1.026. I had a slight ammonia spike when I added some new LR. Under control now. I am doing small daily water changes for now to be safe. The star has been acting diffent since the ammonia spike. Not moving much, deflating then going back to normal. Color looks ok. Don't know if there is anything I can do for it or just let it ride it out. I have a fish in QT doing hypo, so that is not an option.

debbie

Your salinity is okay, but your tank should be a min of 6 months old before adding any stars they say.
I do believe that those stars are not reef safe either. So if you have corals they could disappear, wait for the info on this before doing anything.
I had a chocolate chip star for a short time. In my opinion I would never do it again, we just cannot give them what they really need in the way of natural foods. I spot fed everyday but it still was not enough. If I had to pick a star to keep in a tank I would probably go with a brittle or serpent.
Hopefully Ophiura will be here to help you soon.
Good Luck......

milwaukeem

I am new to this hobby but I will share what I have learned about Red General's... It is ironic that I came across this thread while my Red is eating.... Now I haven't had him that long actually just a couple days.... I have had some recent issues with other fish ying in my tank since I put him in but he is still living and appears normal... Moving around the tank glass.... Anyway when I just had to fish dye and QT my last one I asked about his behavior and what to look for when they are stressed, etc... Well the guy at my LFS said that if he goes to the bottom of the sand and begin to deflate that he is stressed to the point he is going to dye.... I hope this isnt the case for you but I would definitly watch him, if this isn't the case he shouldn't stay like that long or happen frequesntly so I would think hope this helps you.....
I have been reading and posting like crazy on here since I got my tank.... It is nice that I can finally give something back.... Like I said hopefully it has been a help...

ophiura

I agree that your tank is on the young side, IMO, for one of these stars. How long have you had it and what do you feed it?

milwaukeem

I did want to add to Debbie's comment about the six month wait period.... I have never heard... Not to say it is not true, but my tank is not even a month old and my has been doing fine, although from what I have read it is possible that he killed two of my fish because of a poisonous substance they can release if they are stressed if you dont acclimate them long enough... Which I think is what happened with my tank... My general seems to be doing fine, but only time well tell.... I am definitly learning by the minute with this experience.....

milwaukeem

In the event that age of the tank is important in having a star, I don't know whay the LFS wouldn't be cautious in selling you this item... I know I consult with them about every purchase asking a million questions... getting reassurance that I am doing everything right... Now I now some places might be out for a quick buck, but also thinking that if you get good service from a place they would make more money in the long run from you as a repeat customer?????

debbie

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
I did want to add to Debbie's comment about the six month wait period.... I have never heard... Not to say it is not true, but my tank is not even a month old and my has been doing fine, although from what I have read it is possible that he killed two of my fish because of a poisonous substance they can release if they are stressed if you dont acclimate them long enough... Which I think is what happened with my tank... My general seems to be doing fine, but only time well tell.... I am definitly learning by the minute with this experience.....

If you have the chance to find and read the posts by Ophiura please do so. There is a wealth of info there. You will find that 6 months is the min for adding a star to your system. You just might luck out with your star, I hope that this does happen for you...

debbie

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
In the event that age of the tank is important in having a star, I don't know whay the LFS wouldn't be cautious in selling you this item... I know I consult with them about every purchase asking a million questions... getting reassurance that I am doing everything right... Now I now some places might be out for a quick buck, but also thinking that if you get good service from a place they would make more money in the long run from you as a repeat customer?????

Yes we would hope that all our LFS stores would be so kind as to give us the correct info regarding purchases for fish etc. But they are there to do a job and that is sell. If you do homework first before going and buying you are much farther ahead. You can then go into that store with the info you have, get what you went there for and go home feeling good.
I do this for everything. We are looking at a new sofa and love seat, the material is something I am not familiar with. I have researched it to death now and am confident that I can purchase it without having that "what if feeling".
So do post here and read all other posts to. I often will do a search on something I am wanting info about. If my search does not give me the info I am after do post. Many here are experts in the hobby and have a great knowledge of info to help you along.
The key to this hobby is "Patience"......
Something I have had to learn in my 2 years here.
Good Luck.....

ophiura

Keep in mind that an LFS may not necessarily know that seastars etc do better in mature systems. Few can properly identify the species to begin with, and then little may be known about that species...and there is a lot of misinformation as well.
The reason for the 6 month period is that it allows the tank, and the keeper, to mature and learn to keep things stabilized. In addition there are many, many parameters that are still stabilizing in a young tank that we do not even begin to test for. So it is a caution to put them into an established tank as they are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in water parameters.
As for a poisonous substance they may release...I am not familiar with any in seastars.
Thanks Debbie

debbie

Originally Posted by ophiura
Keep in mind that an LFS may not necessarily know that seastars etc do better in mature systems. Few can properly identify the species to begin with, and then little may be known about that species...and there is a lot of misinformation as well.
The reason for the 6 month period is that it allows the tank, and the keeper, to mature and learn to keep things stabilized. In addition there are many, many parameters that are still stabilizing in a young tank that we do not even begin to test for. So it is a caution to put them into an established tank as they are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in water parameters.
As for a poisonous substance they may release...I am not familiar with any in seastars.
Thanks Debbie

Your welcome....

psusocr1

if you meqn when your red general eats it looks liek the middle of its stomach is sucking in towards his back...this is TOTALLY normal,, i will snap some pictures tomm. of what youre talkign about. MY red general does it when he eats so dont be alarmed!

milwaukeem

Well since I was not smart enough to research this star before purchasing I have been really worred about him.... He has been in there for almost two weeks, moving around the glass and eating regularly... If he was not going to make it do you think I he would be acting differently or it is too soon to tell????

lion_crazz

I absolutely agree and I have to say that when it is looks deflated, it usually seems to be expelling its stomach. Usually.
My red general has been in my tank for one month and one week now and his points are getting finer looking and his color is much better than when I first got him. He was on my glass for the very first time today. Before today, he has crusied the sand bed every day and he really keeps it clean.