Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe Skimmer

Does anybody have any reviews/own/use one of these? I am getting ready to setup another tank (90G) and am looking to buy a HOB Skimmer for it. I have searched all over the place and the few reviews I found concerning this skimmer seem to be good. Most threads I find are referring to the smaller HOB Prizm or Prizm Deluze which are a little different from this one. The one I am referring to is rated for 300G with a 40oz collection cup, surface skimmer and media basket in the return portion of it. I'd post a link but I would like for this thread to stay open since even though SWF sells Red Sea Skimmers I don't see this on here.
Does anybody have any 1st hand experience with this skimmer? Here is a picture of it:

nycbob

dont waste ur money on it. this was my first protein skimmer, and wasnt good at all. i think i spent like $125 for it. I'd go with octopus 100ss for $110. u will get much better performance out of the box. just google octopus 100ss for an online retailer.

ironeagle2006

The Red Sea is the one I am using and have been for close to a YEAR now. I have never had an issue with it at all. My reef club President had an Octopus on her 75 Fowlr and it broke after seeing what mine was doing she got one and her tank Has a 10 in Volitan Lion and a 2 foot SFE in it so the bioload is HIGH. She told me why did I buy the Octopus they are crap in her mind now. I have never had a issue with the quality of Skimate or water quality since I upgraded from a seaclone 150. I am upgrading to either a 250 or 300 in 1 year and I am going to keep this skimmer over a ASM that every one loves.

Nycbob, did you have this exact skimmer or the older one?
Right now I have a CL SS 65 (that is about to be put our of operation) and a Warner H2. I am just looking for something different. I got a gift card and it's burning a hole in my pocket.
I want a HOB skimmer that has as little as possible in the tank (I want the motor OUTSIDE of the tank) that still does a good job.
I'm going to order something tonight. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by FaTcAt
http:///forum/post/2890968
Take a look at the Bermuda Rogue HOB skimmer or the CNC 125H HOB skimmer(if you can find one).
I just looked up the Bermuda and found it for $309. I'll order another Warner before I spend that amount on something else.

stanlalee

the bermuda's a good skimmer but the pump is in the tank and it requires not a small one either. the CNC is not worth talking about because you wont be able to get one. it pulls more air than the Deltec 600 (it uses the SICCE pump like the octo 800s) and has a real collection cup for $400 but they only make them to order when/if at all.
Why not get another Warner Marine?
If nothing else about the Prizm pro explain the 300g rating? their flagship $350 C skim with Recirc pinwheel and advertised 450lph of air draw is rated at 300g fish only, 200g softies and 100g SPS. their second tier $230 berlin X2 with newly upgraded pinwheel (upgraded from the 18 blade "turbo" wheel the Prizm Pro still uses) that offers 50% more performance than the old pump wheel version and pulls 300lph of air is rated at 225g fish only, 125g soft corals and 75g hard corals yet their entry level old tech Prizm "Pro Deluxe" with the old school redsea "turbo" wheel pump is rated at 300 gallons. so it cant be its pump and it cant be due to size because its 20"x13"x3.5" which is no bigger than the Octopus BH2000 23"x10"x4" which has a much better performing pump and is itself overated at 120g. the warner marine H2 is 18"x10"x4.75" and has a FAR superior pump and is rated at 80g. the deltec is 20"x10"x7" with a FAR FAR superior aquabee pump and is rated at 155g normal/100g heavy stock. so either this "Prizm" design is a miracle worker or their full of BS. there isn't a hang on skimmer on the planet designed to handle more than about 135g and those are the best of the best (CNC, Bermuda, Deltec, Octo 800s). this skimmer is just what it looks like it is a bigger version of a skimmer thats not a great performer to begin with. My local petworld had them on their diplays for a long time and they usually had good nasty skimate production so I know they actually work (they were on two 125g, one highly stocked FO and one neglected high density reef thats been up forever) BUT they dont have the hardware to be anything but mediocre and it sure wasn't doing anything special for the reef tank (not that anything else would have).
get another warner marine or if you want something different or cheaper get the octopus BH2000, its cheaper ($150) and if you want to burn the extra money, for $39 there's a new pinwheel for the OTP 2000 pump you can try out for us.....I mean you.

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2892042
Why not get another Warner Marine?
I knew you would chime in before long.

I like the Warner, but the place I was given a gift too does not carry them. However I just did find someone that will buy the gift card from me so I might just get another Warner.
The rating on the Prizm was from the site I found it on. Obviously I'm no skimmer expert or I would quit asking questions. I will send you a link to it so you can see what I mean.

I just really wanted to try something different for sake of saying I did so.

fatcat

If you want to be "different" take a look at the ATB HOB CONE skimmer.
Might be alittle pricey. LOL

I was saying I was looking to try something besides a CL SS or the Warner and still stay under $300. There is no point in paying more than that because I know I can get a good one that works quite well for that amount.
Right now I am now looking at the Red Sea Berlin X2 Turbo.

fatcat

Ah... i see. I have never used the Red Sea Berlin X2 Turbo but i'm not a big fan of anything red sea plus it looks like a pretty big pump to be sitting in tank.

Originally Posted by FaTcAt
http:///forum/post/2892331
Ah... i see. I have never used the Red Sea Berlin X2 Turbo but i'm not a big fan of anything red sea plus it looks like a pretty big pump to be sitting in tank.
The Berlin X2 Turbo comes with a hangon kit. This is going on my QT tank which is out of sight so it's no big deal. I'm still looking at other options though.

breiwa1

I was using this exact skimmer and although it did work ok, I had a lot of problems. The biggest was overflowing. It would skim fine for a day or two and all of the sudden over flow, big time. I did band aid the problem by drilling a hole high on the collection cup so it would dump back into the tank if it decided to overflow. Not the best way but it saved my carpet. The skimmer was also very noisy and needed constant adjustment.
If you really want to try one look in the St. Paul city dump for mine, you can have it for nothing.

Originally Posted by breiwa1
http:///forum/post/2893395
I was using this exact skimmer and although it did work ok, I had a lot of problems. The biggest was overflowing. It would skim fine for a day or two and all of the sudden over flow, big time. I did band aid the problem by drilling a hole high on the collection cup so it would dump back into the tank if it decided to overflow. Not the best way but it saved my carpet. The skimmer was also very noisy and needed constant adjustment.
If you really want to try one look in the St. Paul city dump for mine, you can have it for nothing.

LOL, well I have decided against it. I had the local skimmer pro show me the light.