Refuge/Sump

nvmycj

Has anyone ever built a refuge/sump out of a 10gallon tank?
Is it more significant to have one be long vs tall?
Here's my stand, so it might make it clearer as to what I'm trying to ask. I can barely fit a 10g tank in there, but I can fit something tall. Ideas??

nvmycj

well poo,...! Any clue where? Is a tall refugium ok? I've only see short, but long, refugiums... Opinions?

nikesb

the only reason for a tall refugium would be if your tank drains a significant amount when the power goes out.
that being said, you can run a decent sized refugium with ur dimensions. you could probably have the size your looking for made for 100$ if you can find someone. had mine made 22x17x15 for 90$

slice

FWIW
My HOB fuge is skinny and tall, 19.75" long x 4" deep x 17" tall. It does just fine. The chaeto cannot tumble; I have
to pull it and rinse it during w/c, but it does the job. It keeps trates at undetectable levels.

sly

I've had a 10 gallon fuge on my 72 gallon bow front for 8 years and it does fine. I put a plexiglass divider wall in it with a deep sand bed, mangroves and chaeto on one side and a U tube siphon tube on the other to return it to the sump. I have it lit with a simple 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb. It grows chaeto just fine and because of the lower spectrum, it also grows hair algae as well which is good because it doesn't grow in the tank at all.
IMO having your chaeto tumble is nice, but overrated. Just as long as you have it and keep it thinned out as it grows, you will be fine. Mine doesn't tumble but it still grows.

nvmycj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly http:///forum/thread/385219/refuge-sump#post_3378213
I've had a 10 gallon fuge on my 72 gallon bow front for 8 years and it does fine. I put a plexiglass divider wall in it with a deep sand bed, mangroves and chaeto on one side and a U tube siphon tube on the other to return it to the sump. I have it lit with a simple 100 watt equivalent CFL bulb. It grows chaeto just fine and because of the lower spectrum, it also grows hair algae as well which is good because it doesn't grow in the tank at all.
IMO having your chaeto tumble is nice, but overrated. Just as long as you have it and keep it thinned out as it grows, you will be fine. Mine doesn't tumble but it still grows.
Sly,
Can you show me a pic of our 10g fuge? Specifically, where the water comes into, where your protein skimmer is, and your pump back to the main tank.. That'd be great.
Thanks!