Refugiums?

ejensen

I have a sump that has refugium area. My question is where to start. What is the proper method of using one. Do I use mircle mud, sand or both. Then do I put some live rock in it? What kind of plants do I use? Lighting-Is 18 watt PC enough? This is what it looks like.

dmc888

I have mostly ls and a little mineral mud.
I started with ls and my refugium kit came with the mud.
You can use both. Its up to you.
Make sure any substrate you add is live with bacteria.
Otherwise it might get real messy. Substrate that has no bacteria tends to be easier to disturb. So it may cloud easily.
I would start out with a refugium kit, substrate and lr.
Most people favor cheato spaghetti macro.
But i like calurpa , because it looks better, grows fast, but can go sexual.
I had a 18w 50/ 50 pc on my 10g fuge and the plants did ok. A steady growth. But upgraded to about 50w flourescent house bulbs with 200w normal output. Growing alot faster than before.
Whats your email, i know a good site for refugium stuff.
I would wait to add any inverts to there for a little while. Atleast the sensitive ones.

O

oceangrl11

has anyone got emails about this site? I have not :( If anyone else knows a good fuge site that would be awesome. I would like to purchase a kit but i do not think this site sells them.

shiby1510

have not gotten an email either... as for you oceangrl11 ... they are really not that hard to build... if i were you i would look into diy... instead of buying it from somewhere... you will get way ripped off... i built mine from a rubbermaid... and after all was done it costed at the most $30 :joy: