removing powerhead toxins - ASAP please

pyro

My dad called me up at PSU a couple hours ago and informed me that my wrasse and tang are dead and my clown/blenny are soon to go. After a lot of confusion, we found that my Rio600 had burnt up and was releasing junk into the water. I made sure to clean it once a month if not more.
I really don't known what to do. Is there any way I can get money back? I probably bought it just over 6 months ago (out of warranty), and can't find any information to contact Rio.
Also, what is the best way to remove the junk out of the water? My dad did a 5-10g water change and is getting more water tomorrow to do another 10g or so change. He is also running my emperor 400 with tons of carbon in it. Any other way to do this?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
This is a common problem with RIOs. Should contact the company immediately. Obviously, you need to do massive water changes. If you have carbon filters, start using it, changing out the carbon every couple of days. If you bought the RIO from a LFS, perhaps they can help you by keeping your Live Animals, or letting you borrow a conister filter (if you don't have one).

pyro

Nope, got it from Marine D....
Well, I have a feeling none of my fish are going to make it. I am trying to contact Rio, but can not find any contact information about them.
Thanks Beth.

pyro

I dug a bit deeper. I found it is owned/produced by a company known as Taam Inc.
Apparently in their product description is says if it burns up it won't release toxins... but not only I but it seems several others have had issues with this. Maybe I could use this as a bit of leverage.
I'll post any results I get.
Thanks for the help Beth.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the problem is common. You may want to check around to see how others have handled it.

pyro

Wanted to update the thread for reference.
Surprisingly, both the clwon and the blenny are healthy swimming and eating now. They were laying on the sandbed on their side the other night. So that's good. All inverts still seem very healthy.
After doing a 10g water change when my dad found the problem and removing the defective smoking powerhead, he loaded up my emperor 400 with carbon. The next day he picked up another 5g of saltwater and did another change.
On the money side of things, I contacted Rio telling them that their pump certainly appears to have contaminated my tank. They told me to send the pump in the original box and receipt back for analysis. Any pictures of the damage would help. Well, my dad didn't take any pictures of my dead fish, but who knows. I'll update depending on my results. The people from TAAM Inc seem rather helpful actually, so my hopes are fairly high.
Thanks for all the help.