Replacement Bulbs - Current Fixture

estein02

I'm at about the 6 month period and am thinking about replacing my bulbs. My fixture is a 36" Current Nove Extreme T5HO with (2) 39 watt 10,000k daylights and (2) 39 watt 460nm actinics. When I replace the bubls should I replace them with the same bulb or are there better ones that I should look into?

frankthetank

There will be people here who think Current bulbs aren't good. I'm going to tell you I think they are wrong! I love the current bulbs! They are more affordable. And a very good bulb!

sambucus

i'm with frank I use current Sunpaq lamps, just replaced mine, i'm gonna hold out a year before I replace them again.

estein02

Frank and sambucus...have you tried other bulbs as a comparison and found the current bulbs to hold their own? What do you have in your tanks?

frankthetank

Originally Posted by estein02
Frank and sambucus...have you tried other bulbs as a comparison and found the current bulbs to hold their own? What do you have in your tanks?
I have used coralife bulbs before... and I think the Current bulbs are brighter. Have I used every bulb? No. But I have zoo's, assorted mushrooms, xenias, leather finger, and star polyps in my tank, and they have done very well and grown to my satisfaction.
All I'm saying is I don't think when you buy a Current bulb you're getting trash. I think it's a very good bulb. I used my last set for 10 months without problem. I now have my 10k and dual actinic running and I think it's beautiful! My LFS says they hate coralife bulbs... they're too expensive for the product you get. Current is far more affordable and a good brand iof bulb n my mind.

estein02

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I have used coralife bulbs before... and I think the Current bulbs are brighter. Have I used every bulb? No. But I have zoo's, assorted mushrooms, xenias, leather finger, and star polyps in my tank, and they have done very well and grown to my satisfaction.
All I'm saying is I don't think when you buy a Current bulb you're getting trash. I think it's a very good bulb. I used my last set for 10 months without problem. I now have my 10k and dual actinic running and I think it's beautiful! My LFS says they hate coralife bulbs... they're too expensive for the product you get. Current is far more affordable and a good brand iof bulb n my mind.
I was just curious since I haven't had the opportunity to try another brand of bulb. So far I've been very happy with the current bulbs so the extra assurance is good. Besides a bulb burning out, how can you tell when it's time to replace them? Thank you for the input!

frankthetank

Originally Posted by estein02
I was just curious since I haven't had the opportunity to try another brand of bulb. So far I've been very happy with the current bulbs so the extra assurance is good. Besides a bulb burning out, how can you tell when it's time to replace them? Thank you for the input!
Well, you can't tell by looking at the bulb. Because it's kind of like telling if you have gained or lost weight in the mirror. You see it everyday, so you don't notice the difference. You can of course look at your corals... if you see zoo's stretching up for light, or mushrooms stretching up. Maybe even xenias too. IMO, when corals are stretching up for light they're not getting enough.
Generally with PC bulbs you want to change them somewhere in the 6-12 month range. That's a pretty big range... depending on if you have the money to spend, then maybe closer to 6 months. I changed my last set at 10 months. But I had them shipped and ready at 9 months (just my laziness).
I change every 9 months typically. Now I don't have anything that's real light demanding...
I'll say this though...I have a leather finger that I purchased when my lights were about 5 months old. Now that I placed him at the top of the rock work, and replaced my bulbs with new 10k Current bulbs, he's never looked more beautiful!!! He has hundreds if not thousands of little tiny stars that poke out all over him! Absolutely gorgeous!!

sambucus

I've only tried sunpaq as of now, still a noob in training, but I did my research and asked around alot and decided on Sunpaq.

X

xrobbx03

Here is everything you need. All the bulb brands and their PAR ratings.

[hr]
ATI
Sun Pro 357
Aquablue 336
Blue Plus 311
Actinic 137
D&D/Giesemann
Midday 325
Aquablue 324
Actinic Plus 264
Pure Actinic 157
AquaZ
Sun Pro 285
Ocean Pro 323
Blue Pro 266
Helios
Daylight 309
Super Blue 225
Current Sun Paq
Daylight 10K 272
Blue 252
GE Daylight 340

chilwil84

remember those numbers are for comparison only they will not be what your tank and fixture produce
he also added more bulbls a couple posts later that included uvi and maybe others

estein02

I ended up purchasing Giesemann lamps...1 midday; 1 aquablue + and 2 pure actinics. I'm excited to get them and see how everything looks. Thanks for the help.