Replacing our Metal Halide Bulbs

kayleigh

Our fixture has 3 metal halide bulbs. We are currently runnig 100000k and are replacing with 3 140000k. We have not changed the bulbs in about 3 years. Do you suggest changing all 3 bulbs the one time or should we swicth them out gradually over a period of time.
We have a 155gallon bowfront with a couple of bubble tips and some frogpawns, mushrooms and a large plate coral and a few other corals that can be seen in my picture.
PS......I am also a newbie to the forum! :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh http:///t/395048/replacing-our-metal-halide-bulbs#post_3516389
Our fixture has 3 metal halide bulbs. We are currently runnig 100000k and are replacing with 3 140000k. We have not changed the bulbs in about 3 years. Do you suggest changing all 3 bulbs the one time or should we swicth them out gradually over a period of time.
We have a 155gallon bowfront with a couple of bubble tips and some frogpawns, mushrooms and a large plate coral and a few other corals that can be seen in my picture.
PS......I am also a newbie to the forum! :)
Welcome to the site!
3 years??? No hair algae problems? A MH bulb lasts for 1 year max. The mushrooms like the dark, but I'm surprised the anemones are alive, you could add all three bulbs, and move the corals lower in the tank if it acts funny with all the new light.

acrylic51

Welcome......I'd probably stagger the new bulbs......The light increase will probably cause a shock.......

kayleigh

All our corals and anemones are thriving. Our Anemone actually has split twice in the last 6 months. Our 1 frogspawn has been divided 7 times and they are doing excellent. I need to divide them again they are growing so well. I realize that the lights are supposed to be changed every year but because the tank has been thriving we have held off on changing the bulbs. We have no algae at all.
The only reason we are changing the bulbs now is because my parents are in Florida and can get an excellent price if they buy them down there, as opposed to buying them in Canada. :)
I would post some pics but apparently I am not able to yet! I guess it is cause I am a newbie!

acrylic51

Should be able to post pics........I'm starting to believe that anemones aren't as picky as what some think........I have a buddy that has a 125 and runs no skimmer, old bulbs and very infrequent water changes and he bought a huge, healthy anemone and that thing has split 8-10 times in a year since he's had it......I'd still replace the bulbs, but would probably stagger the change......

kayleigh

Thanks....we will stagger. We also have no skimmer. The ceramic shaft broke in it about 3 years ago and we have not replaced it since. We also do infrequent water changes. We have about 220 pounds of live rock. We also have a sump that runs the heaters and phosban reactor.
We have been at this now for about 8 years and we used to do all the recomended water changes and run the skimmer. We have in the last 3-4 years lost the skimmer and do little water changes and what a difference. It has been the best our tank has been. A little neglect worked great for us. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me but the bottom line is we have the experience to prove it! Our tank is thriving! I will try to post some pics!

kayleigh

When I try to add pictures I am getting the message:
You don't have permissions to create attachments
Whats up with that?

flower

Listen to Acrylic and stagger the bulb change. I read somewhere on the site, that an anemone that splits too often is stressed. Maybe someone can chime in with better info...I really don't remember what thread where I read it, or who said it.

acrylic51

I'm not an authority on anemones, but I do know there are ways to enhance or entice them to split.......I wouldn't see them splitting often as being a sure sign of stress.....As long as all specimens are healthy and thriving....I'm curious though I'd like someone to chime in on that.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/395048/replacing-our-metal-halide-bulbs#post_3516448
I'm not an authority on anemones, but I do know there are ways to enhance or entice them to split.......I wouldn't see them splitting often as being a sure sign of stress.....As long as all specimens are healthy and thriving....I'm curious though I'd like someone to chime in on that.....
I don't keep any more beautiful fish eaters, but I do remember that in a thread...I will try some searches and see what I come up with there. I would think splitting was a good thing, so it stuck in my mind.
I found it! I knew I wasn't crazy:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/306830/question-about-splitting-anemone
By the way...I am not saying that is the case here, just that I remember somebody posted something about splitting and stress. 7Xs just seemed a bit much...so it made me think of it.