Replacing PC Bulbs

It's almost time to replace my pc bulbs on my Reef tanks . These are 2-(65watts)10,000k white and 2-(65watts)10,000k blue. I was thinking to replace them with 6500K bulbs because 10000k is too bright. Is it ok to decrease it? Would it affect my corals? :notsure:

viper_930

The K rating is the color of the bulb, not its brightness. A 6500K bulb is just more yellow than a 10000k. What kind of corals do you have? If they aren't too light-demanding, you could just remove two of the bulbs.

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
The K rating is the color of the bulb, not its brightness. A 6500K bulb is just more yellow than a 10000k. What kind of corals do you have? If they aren't too light-demanding, you could just remove two of the bulbs.

I have soft corals. I have a 55 gal tank...

barebucta

don't mean to hi-jack you post, but my pc lights came with the same bulbs as well, (2) 65 watt sunpaq 10k. When it's time to replace the bulbs could a 96 watt bulb run on the unit?

popnfrresh

it depends on the ballast if your ballast can handle it it should be ok. but make sure. You dont want to ruin your lights.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

viper_930

65 watt to 55 watts wouldn't make a difference. It's the ballast that determines the wattage consumption, so your 65 watt ballast would run 55 watt bulbs just like if they were 65 watt bulbs. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks , Viper
Now, my second issue is that my bulbs are 8 months old...red and brown algae are spreading like wildfire....do you think it's time to change the bulbs to new ones? what's thei deal time to change the bulbs, some say it's 6 months, other say it's 9-12 months...please help

hot883

Originally Posted by Something'sFishy
Thanks , Viper
Now, my second issue is that my bulbs are 8 months old...red and brown algae are spreading like wildfire....do you think it's time to change the bulbs to new ones? what's thei deal time to change the bulbs, some say it's 6 months, other say it's 9-12 months...please help
Algea is not caused by old bulbs. More than likely it's because of dead space with no water movement.