Resun 1/2 hp chiller

stella

I'm using this chiller for my 125g (aggressive setup) and recently I noticed that the compressor keeps turning on and off, in small intervals. Also noticed that "E1" is displayed sometimes. Anyone know what's wrong? I can't find a user's manual online :help: summers here are too hot not to have a chiller.

scsinet

I have no idea what the specific error message means, but the compressor refrigerant loop may have a pressure switch on it to allow the CPU to make sure proper pressure is being developed. If it's low on coolant, it may be short cycling becuase the CPU is sensing a problem and shutting it down.
Can you find the website for the company? Maybe they have a number you can call and find out for sure? From what I found online, Resun is a Taiwan knock-off brand, so you may never be able to find who made it. The couple pictures I did find of them look a lot like Pacific Coast Imports units. Maybe they make the chillers for Resun, if that helps.

stella

Asked an LFS guy today and he said they service them, that probably the repair will cost about $30 and that they give some kind of maintenance
Since it still takes down the temp I'll leave it till friday, he told me if I take it friday afternoon they'll have it ready for Saturday
I'll post what was wrong (if it's what they think it is) just in case someone needs the info too. Oh and SCSInet thanx for the reply =)

stella

I forgot to post what happened after all to the chiller....

The repair guy said there was a loose cable, that maybe was left hanging when the previous owner installed the "pop-out fuse" (I have no idea how that's called
), and the extension cord on the ranco controller was too long. He also gave maintenance to the chiller and it's been working great since
. Oh and he charged $40, I thought he would charge me more

acrylic51

Glad it's up and running and a cheap fix!!!!!!
I don't understand what the length of the Ranco temp controller would have to do with anything though? :notsure:

acrylic51

The length of the cord is so you have room to remotely mount it, unless the cord wasn't the correct cord that came with the controller that the previous owner might have rigged????If that's the case maybe some voltage drop or such, but if it's the original cord from manufacturer, I doubt the cord is an issue