RO/DI machine owners or knowledges.....

RO/DI machine like Wal Mart or any water company that anyone can purchase for home use. I am researching whether it is affordable to own, to operate, and worth to invest instead of going for typically "little" RO/DI. :D
So where to start search? Links? Brand? Etc to help to enable to do consideration, hunts, and shopping 'round.

first off, depends on the size of the tank... If you have a nano, or a small tank you could probably jsut buy water at walmart or your LFS to use.
Secondly, there are different membranes of RO units, Im not exactly sure which one you need, but hit up google and do a search.
I use walmart water and LFS RO water, works great for me, it usually goes for 1$ per gallon i believe. If you have a large tank then id reccomend getting one of your own. JMO,HTH

L

lionfish18

I only have a 40 gallon tank and i was wondering if i should buy a ro/di unit or just buy the water from say walmart?

ucdpike2001

I purchased a a kent marine maxima Hi-S 35 gpd for my 100 gal tank. I would recomend it to everyone. I did have a problem with it at first but after i called kent they sent me a new unit, a few new membranes, and a 50% coupon. Which made up for any frustration i had.
These units are extremely slow but the quality of the water is excellent; they remove about 99% of all impurities from the water. The actually unit cost me about $160 but it only cost about 5 cents a gal from then on. Which is a lot better then the 35 cents it cost me anywhere else because those 20 gal water changes add up.
If you have the money id get one but for a tank your size its not necessary.

I use a Kent Marine TFC RO Clear Canister 24 gpd unit. For every good 1 gallon of water you make you waste thru your drain 4 gallons of water. The unit is very slow if you live in a cold area. If you fill a 30 gallon can and use a float valve, when the float shuts off the water to the container it contiues to flow thru the the drain line until you shut it off. The 2 canisters are a 1 micron pleat and a 1 micron carbon filter. Change every 3 months. Cost. $8 for micron filter. $20 for carbon. Every 2 years change membrane $80.00.
Unit Cost $ 190.00.

My company are the vendors that vend the water like at walmarts and such. Everyone remember that even though you pay big bucks for a kent what you really need to consider is the membrane that is inside and the filters. What i would do and what i did was Of course i got one wholesale but i would get the cheapest system out there and then put in a good membrane and filters. BUt thats just my opinon.