RO/DI unit and water bill ?s

fishphreak

I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon reef tank.
And I need to get a RO/DI unit. I am just curious how much I can expect this to raise my water bill because we are on city water.
The unit I am getting is a 24 GPD unit. I expect to need 48 gallons per month for now since I will only have LPS and Mushroom coral.
I plan on having LPS and SPS coral in the same tank eventually and was advised that I may want to do 50% water change every 2 weeks with that combination of coral. In which case I will need approx. 70 gallons a month.
So with the 70 gallons of ro water and the waste water it will produce I am getting worried about how much this will increase my water bill. Can anyone give me a clue what to expect?
Thanks so much,
Jessica

robchuck

Even though the RO process wastes 3-4 gallons of water for every gallon of purified water it produces, I hardly saw a difference on my water bill when I started using RO/DI (75gpd membrane; approx. 100 gallons of purified water used each month); maybe an increase of $5 a month.

offshore80

That will be your least expense with a 75 gallon reef. Salt will become a factor also. Not to mention if you need to do some big water changes due to water quality.
A 24 GPD unit is VERY small. That's a gallon an hour. You will be in need of top off water at about a gallon or two a day.
I would get no less than a 85 GPD unit. they are worth the money and most come with a 5 gallon storage tank.

fishphreak

yeah that's what I thought. If I go bigger I won't have to wait as long to get the water. Plus I would have plenty for top-offs.
It really only raises the water bill a few dollars a month????
I don't get it. If I would be using 4 times as much water how would it only raise the bill by about $5
If I was using 4 times as much water wouldn't it raise my water bill by 4 times as much????
Thanks,
Jessica

farslayer

Only if you are using 4x as much water everywhere, such as your washing machine, toilet, shower, sink, dishwasher, etc. Your water bill is the sum of all of your water usage, which is the sum of each of your water using appliances. The small factor that is the RO will simply add another "appliance" to your list.

fishphreak

I will go with a 100 GPD RO/DI unit.
I was able to speak with someone at the water company and she told me that they charge by the thousand gallons. So the RO unit should only increase my water bill by probably something like $2-5 per month.
The salt won't be a problem. I use Instant Ocean and enough to do 50 gallons is only about $25. Even if I have to do 50% water changes 2 boxes per month should be enough.
Is there anything else I should know before starting the reef?
Please let me know if I am leaving anything out or if you have any suggestions. This is what I am planning on so far:
75 gallon double overflow tank
29 gallon sump
2x 250 watt MH lighting (and 2 spare bulbs)
4x55 watt PC lighting (and 4 spare bulbs)
moon lights
Protein Skimmer (to be put in the sump)
2 Maxi Jet 400 power heads (beause I already have them)
Little Giant Pump (950 GPH at 4ft.)
100 GPD RO/DI unit
2x 50 gallon storage containers for the RO water
Does that sound ok?
Thank you all so much for all your help!
Jessica

reefnut

I would suggest going with a 75gpd unit instead of a 100gpd unit. The 75gpd membrane typically has a higher rejection rate so it will help your DI cartridge last longer.
One 50g storage container should be fine. I use a 40g rubber made trash can and it works great. I have to fill it one or twice a week... depending on water changes.
The Typhoon III is a great unit. It comes with either the 75gpd or the 100gpd.
AND that is going to be one fine system :)

fishphreak

Originally posted by ReefNut
AND that is going to be one fine system :)

I am pleased to hear it. I got most of the information for my choices from this website :)
Thanks for all the help,
Jessica

fishphreak

Originally posted by ReefNut
I would suggest going with a 75gpd unit instead of a 100gpd unit. The 75gpd membrane typically has a higher rejection rate so it will help your DI cartridge last longer.
The Typhoon III is a great unit. It comes with either the 75gpd or the 100gpd.

I am planning on getting the 75 GPD Typhoon III. Other than the adaptor and the float kit is there anything else I need for this unit? I don't need a flush kit for that, right?
I just want to make sure I get everything I need for it when I place the order.
Thanks so much,
Jessica