Rose BTA

anjiro

Alright I found a Rose Bubble tip I have absolutely fallen in love with, so I re-scaped the tank to allow a larger flat area higher up in the tank, but after finishing I thought hmmm, I'm not sure my lighting will support this kind of life.....

SO, I have in no certain fashion decided to maybe upgrade my lighting, currently I have a 50/50 quad bulb 96w and 1 24w actinic, all pc's, on my 29gallon bio cube So, I have 120w of day light. Of course these are pcs so I'm pretty sure that the nem wont thrive or give the color I want under these lights.
Any thoughts or suggestions, I'm thinking about a 150w odssyea metal halide system. Does anybody have any experience with this light in particular? Or would a 70 w be enought light as I know a guy locally who DIY's metal halides but only in 70w?
As far as the tank its 1 yr old stocked with lps and softies.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Anjiro
http:///forum/post/3196746
Alright I found a Rose Bubble tip I have absolutely fallen in love with, so I re-scaped the tank to allow a larger flat area higher up in the tank, but after finishing I thought hmmm, I'm not sure my lighting will support this kind of life.....

SO, I have in no certain fashion decided to maybe upgrade my lighting, currently I have a 50/50 quad bulb 96w and 1 24w actinic, all pc's, on my 29gallon bio cube So, I have 120w of day light. Of course these are pcs so I'm pretty sure that the nem wont thrive or give the color I want under these lights.
Any thoughts or suggestions, I'm thinking about a 150w odssyea metal halide system. Does anybody have any experience with this light in particular? Or would a 70 w be enought light as I know a guy locally who DIY's metal halides but only in 70w?
As far as the tank its 1 yr old stocked with lps and softies.
Of course a MH would be better. That being said, I have a RBTA in my 14G BioCube with stock lighting (one 24 watt 10K daylight and one 24watt actinic). The color could be a little sharper, but I think it's just a crummy anemone, they guy I bought it from never really has quality stuff. Just keep it fed and higher in the tank and all should be fine.
I've heard mix reviews about that light fixture.
As for the DIY guy, if he can do a 70w, he should be able to do any size, shouldn't he

anjiro

Yeah, the guy could do higher watts but he charges much more, he keeps a major surplus of the ends, reflectors and ballasts to do the 70w, so yeah he could do it, but for about twice the money. Althought after some consideration, I think I might DIY a 150 watt..... Not sure yet though

garick

Also the penetration of the light, not just wattage can make the difference. Its more about penetration and wavelength than anything else really because even with 20 40 watt T12s you might still not have enough to reach your anem.