Rtn

katz

Okay, I purchased a sps coral online and noticed when I opened it that it had a white spot at the base of the coral about the size of a pencil head. I did not think nothing of it until a week later I noticed that it had tripled in size and was peeling. I removed it and ran carbon right away, but Now I have lost all but my bottle brush coral and the softies.
I am wanting to replace my lost sps corals but want to know what the time frame is of that disease.
Does anyone have any idea?
Katz

yosemite sam

Sorry to hear for your loss. Not a lot is known about RTN, and what all sets it off. Here's a brief blurb about it: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/177260/sps-disease-pics-wanted
Incidently, do you not run carbon all the time? I'm not saying this is what caused you to lose the rest of your corals, but some people have reported RTN issues when starting carbon after not using it for a while. Carbon apparently can clean the water to a degree that the increased light penetration can shock corals.
If your water parameters are stable, and your other acro (the bottle brush, right?) is doing ok, maybe wait a few weeks and try adding a frag to see how it does.

katz

Thanks for the reply. I run carbon all the time. I just put in fresh when I noticed the RTN. I have now lost the bottle brush.

Katz

nycbob

rtn is such a rare disease. not much is known about it. i hv a miami orchid that was bleaching when i got it from this site more than a week ago. i moved it to a new location with more flow, and now its coming back!

puffer32

RTN should not kill your other corals. You do not have to run carbon in your tank all the time, in fact, running carbon all the time can make your water to clean. I only run carbon once every 6 weeks or as needed.

seamandrew

Wait, I run carbon all the time? How can your water be too clean? I realize the carbon does eat up some trace minerals and metals, but I supplement these. Is that what you mean?