Rusty angel and Niger trigger forming a "gang"

aviator

I would agree execpt that I can see that what he is really doing is 'grazing' on stuff on the front the powerhead (which is one of the few places he could go without being harrassed). he pretty much had it picked clean before he was removed. Everyone is doing swimingly right now. It's only been a few days since they were all put in hospital, but there's not a single spot on any of them now. Obviously they will get several more weeks of hypo, but it seems like everyone will pull through just fine. they are all active and eating like crazy - so I think we are all in good shape now.

aviator

Yes. everyone is in QT at the moment and the big tank has no swimmers.
just as an update: everyone is still doing great. they all look a little bored (no rock to swim around) - but they are all healthy. no signs of ick, everyone is eating well. I've started alternating betwen mysis cubes and flakes and added a little bit of seaweed on a clip for the tang today. he's been snacking on it pretty much since it was put in the tank. I wonder if fish eat to fight boredome like some humans do... hmmm....
Anyway. everyone is doing exceedingly well. I am target feeding the anemone and hand feeding the shrimp to keep waste down in the main tank. It seems very empty... it's really sad.

aviator

I wish I had a better report, but this morning we woke up to find the tang on his side, breathing hard, pale and splotchy in color. he can hold himself upright, but typically either lays on the bottom flat, or props himself up against a PVC elbow that was put in for a hiding place. parameters are correct. salinity is 1.009 and steady. Ph is being held at 8.1 using baking soda (pre-dissolved in fresh hypo-saltwater and dripped when needed) doing 30%-50% water changes daily, using RO/DI water and Instant Reef salt crystals. Spec. Gravity is being measured with a Refractometer along with Ph every 3 hours. we vacuum the bottom when we do water changes so it stays clean and are leaving the sponge filters alone. there is no other water movement in the tanks and we are keeping the lights dimmed (both biocubes have cool new LED light bars, picked up JUST for this rescue). the tanks are in the corner of the master bedroom where there is very little foot traffic. We are feeding a mix of frozen mysis, vegie flakes and pellet depending on time and day. just enough that everyone gets to eat. the rest is then skimmed out.
Everyone else is fine - and hungry. the two Gobies that are in with the tang ate readily this morning. the trigger, angel and other guys in the second hospital tank ate like normal and act like normal. They're not showing any signs of infection (of course, they never did show signs) or stress. just boredom now. the trigger has adopted a piece of pipe for a hidey-hole. the diamond goby is lost without some sand to sift. the lawnmower just sits at the filter intake giving me dirty looks (like he always does) and the angel patrols the front of the tank looking for whatever it is he is looking for. oh, and the damsel - well, I think he would survive a nuclear blast he is so hearty.
Any other time I've had a fish look as bad as the Tang looks right now, they didn't make it. I'm open to suggestions for other things to try with him, but I'm afraid he's really a gonner. I find it odd that no other fish is displaying the slightest signs of ick.
This is a TON of work, which would be fine if it had saved the Tang, but it appears that it did not. I am frustrated. I know this hobby is about 'time and money' - and this is the first time I've gone to these lengths to try and save a fish and failed. It's very disheartening.

aviator

ammonia is zero... well, it's so low it won't register in my test kit.
believe it or not, the tang is still hanging in there. I would have bet he would have been dead by noon, but he's still breathing. he doesn't look good and is still not swimming, but I'm not giving up until he does

aviator

well, we fought the good fight, but our little tang succomed to, well, whatever it was that he had. everyone else is doing great - thats the good news.
I hate losing fish. I hate hate hate it.
especially when it's impossible to tell what he died from. none of my other stoock is showing even the slightest sign of disease - not even so much as a sneeze.

mr. limpid

Sorry to here that he didn't make it. Tang's have a very thin slim coat on there body, which makes them more excitable to ick then most fish. Continue the hypo for the complete treatment to kill of any ick in the system.

aviator

just a quick update for those that may be watching. Mr. Limpid thank you for all the help.
Everyone else is doing just great. eating and swimming and all that other stuff fish do when they are in a tank with no rock.
I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the lights on the 180 to 3 XM 10,000K bulbs. LOVING the light, combined with the actinics. the full spectrum really comes out. only time will tell how the tank inhabitants like 'em. I think the BTA likes them, I've never seen him as big as he is now,
hypo is a LOT of work. im ready for it to be over but glad everyone is being treated.