Sad NEWS for all of us...Read the story

agent707

There is a lot more writen about "where we're going" than there is "where we came from". like 99:1
The bible only spends a few chapters talking about creation...etc. then quickly moves into "life" as we know it.
My POV is if it wasn't that important to write about it, it must not be that important to know. Why people spend their entire lives trying to prove where we came from is beyond me. What difference does it make?
What matters is where we're going. Period. We have no control whatsoever on where we came from, or what happened in the past. It's the future we have total control over and should be what we focus entirely on. Things that happened in the past to others can teach us and guide us in our paths moving forward. Dinosaurs and cave men don't do anything for us in this manner.

agent707

Originally Posted by Stone
Sorryy Chuck, but this is a job for Jack Bauer
Stone
Jesus "told" a tree to die. ...and it did.
Jesus "told" a Storm to cease... and it did.
Jesus fead 5000 men plus women and children with 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread. When everyone was full, there was 12 basketfulls leftover.
When Jack Bauer is working on his computer and the power goes out... he has to start over after he get's it back up and running.
When Jesus get's his computer back up and running after a power outage, he continues right where he left off. How? Jesus saves. :joy:

phixer

:hilarious I have difficulty picking and choosing which parts of the bible to believe, ever read the old testament in detail, Noahs Arc? 2 of every species? Sampson? :thinking: . So for me its difficult to believe in how we are going when it dosent accurately address where we came from, especially the facts that we know to be true and because it was written by the hand of men who are prone to make mistakes. There are too many gaps in the Bible. The dinosaur example is one. We know this to be true, so how can one believe that what Revaltions says is true without a huge leap of faith. I prefer to communicate directly through prayer instead of trying to figure out what another mans words mean. Too much left for intrepretation. The details will be different but the end result will be the same IMHO. Oh and Jack who?
Getting sleepy
Good night guys
God Bless

Oh and one last thing:
Chuck Norris would flip Jack Bauer like a cheese omlet and break him down like Calcium in a reef tank. :hilarious

slappy

i believe it was the great george carlin who said "the earth loves plastic, thats why we are here" " to provide the earth with more plastic"

fallnhorse

I would have to say die off is natural. I have been debating this with myself for a while. Taken everything i have learn. Every 30,000 years in nature there is an ice age. There's a slow warming. With spikes of up and down in temps. According to records in charts that flow this record. We are in a high spike. However it should be ending soon. Taken this from my science years in college. When studying earth science. Any way. Oceans will become hot in one part when the currents slow down. Reefs will die off and move. Even drilling platforms have become artiflce reefs. Attracting from everything from corals to fish. Even to whale sharks. Reefs are very adaptable in nature. I do believe we are speeding up this process. But remember earth have a cooling system like a engine. The ocean works on hydraulics of the salinty. We all know the caps are melting and then we stop the ocean currents. Would get really hot in spots where the reefs are now. Right? Happened before will happen agian. Hopefully they will move agian. I'm sure some larvie will. Like always. If ocean drill rigs can have reefs. I'm sure reef can move up the ocean. We will be going to north carolina for see them tho. Maybe. But i sure would NOT say dooms day. Earth will have her day.

nyfisherman

I think plastics are slowly covering the earth. There has to be twenty times more plastic produced today than there was a decade ago. I have the great life spending a career in the US Navy and have sailed all around the globe. It's sad when you look out into the ocean while your in the middle of the pacific or atlantic and see trash floating. Their isn't another ship in site but there is trash floating around. I think we should get rid of unnessecary plastics all together, go back to brown paper bags and glass bottles. Were does all the trash NYC generates goes?? Weren't they dumping in the Ocean for a while. Talking about dumping. US Navy policy on dumping, Sewage not less than 7 NM, Trash NLT 13 NM, Oil waste or bilge water NLT 60nm and cannot produce a oily sheen on the wter surface. Plastics are prohibitted from being dumped at sea, I think that is a world policy. My two cents on how we are killing everything in the oceans.

stsweene

DYK that they have found stringy muscle fibers in T-Rex bones? Perhaps leading us to believe that we were waaay off on the whole 100+million years ago, and maybe more like 20,000 years ago when they roamed.
Human kind as we know it today will long be gone when the earth is destroyed. We are doing are part to speed that up, but there is no way we are controlling weather patterns and causing large fluxes in temp. We are in a repeating pattern, which has been cycling for millions of years. We havent been around long enough to record any of these trends so we have to rationalize of all this somehow. ie. 'global warming, etc'

fatmatt

Well after reading about 6 replys or so, ive just became very said to know im goin to die a horrible death probly and the more i think about it the worse it is, im 16 and gas is gonna be $4 in the summer and i drive at 17 or 18 i got my FULL license, and now reading this means i cant aford gas, my hobbie is dieing, more countrys are geting nukes and crap, theres more nuts out there with bombs and guns then ever, a world war in gonna happen any day i think. So when all this terrible stuff happens ill be alive i think and be forced probly to join the army and die. Well can we not post horrible things any more? im gonna be thinkin about this now for the month.

hottie79

Unbelievable....
you're right, humans have nothing to do with anything, it's just what the earth does... it doesn't matter what we dump into it, it doesnt matter that we cut the forests to the ground, it doesn't matter the things that we spill into the ocean. humans don't have the power to do anything to nature.

As far as red tide is concerned, yes, humans have some involvement in that as well, go talk to your local aquarium, not the store, I mean like the Atlanta Aquarium, or the Mote Aquarium, or Epcot Center aquarium. It has a lot to do with the pesticides and fertilizers that enter our oceans through run-off. Again though, run-off is natures thing, so not our fault, it's just nature.

When the earth is poisened by nuclear waste from a nuclear plant meltdown, it's again, not our fault, it's just the way nature works... what could we possibly do that might cause any damage on such a huge planet???

So we DON'T know exactly why the earth is warming up, but there are some really good theories on either side. Well, IMPO, shouldn't we be on the safe side and do everything we can as if we ARE what's causing it, because we DON'T know?
What if we are all wrong, and it IS something the human population is doing causing global warming, it's much easier to change what we do now, than to watch everything on our planet die, including the oceans that our beautiful hobby comes from.
I'm not preaching, I'm just saying what if..... I would rather be safe than sorry. Please, just for one moment, stop saying "it's not my fault" and think "what if it is us, what could we do to help correct it". In fact, I am begging you to ask yourself that. Because what IF you are wrong. Please, you know how delicate your tank is, how not having the right temperature, or lighting, or salinity, or anything else can whipe out the entire tank, or maybe just part of it, such as your coral. PLEASE, just stop for a second and ask yourself what you may be able to do to help stop the POSSIBLE onslaught of our planet.
Your children will die someday, it's nature, but that doesn't mean you don't take care of them and protect them. Please think about that, please.

hottie79

poke fun all you want, but honestly, what would it hurt to just think a little farther outside your own box?

jazzyz

listen i would like to see the world clean up its act, but the idea that we can ruin the planet is ridiculus. i do think that alot of the enviromental issues are hype. the earth will go on long after humans have been wiped from existence, so the idea of saving the earth is wrong in my mind, it should be called save the humans. the earth will adapt to anything, its done ok for itsefl for a couple billion years, but maybe some of u are right, maybe the earth cant handle plastic. :notsure:

aufishman

Unbelievable....you're right, humans have nothing to do with anything, it's just what the earth does... it doesn't matter what we dump into it, it doesnt matter that we cut the forests to the ground, it doesn't matter the things that we spill into the ocean. humans don't have the power to do anything to nature.
As far as red tide is concerned, yes, humans have some involvement in that as well, go talk to your local aquarium, not the store, I mean like the Atlanta Aquarium, or the Mote Aquarium, or Epcot Center aquarium. It has a lot to do with the pesticides and fertilizers that enter our oceans through run-off. Again though, run-off is natures thing, so not our fault, it's just nature.
What, exactly, would pesticides contribute to red tide? The general purpose of pesticides is for killing populations, not for stimulating growth. Regardless of what you may hear at the big aquariums, there has been no conclusive data showing a correlation between fertilizer runoff and redtide population explosions. Mote has been working on this issue for quite some time and their research has yet to show any definitive correlation.

When the earth is poisened by nuclear waste from a nuclear plant meltdown, it's again, not our fault, it's just the way nature works... what could we possibly do that might cause any damage on such a huge planet???
WTF? When was the last time we’ve had a nuclear plant meltdown? There’s never been a meltdown at a US nuclear power facility. Nuclear power is cheap, and we need more of it (and I leave within 15 miles of a major facility – Turkey Point, FL). In fact, there is a large population of American Crocodiles that uses the cooling water effluent as home. It’s probably the largest such population left in the world.

So we DON'T know exactly why the earth is warming up, but there are some really good theories on either side. Well, IMPO, shouldn't we be on the safe side and do everything we can as if we ARE what's causing it, because we DON'T know?

No. It would be foolhardy to put in place regulations that would have a major negative effect on our nation’s economy based on bullshit pseudo-science. The earth has warmed up slightly (less than 1.5 degrees over the last 30 years), but based on our current global climatic record this is hardly a large enough data set to be jumping to conclusions about anthropogenic climate change.

What if we are all wrong, and it IS something the human population is doing causing global warming, it's much easier to change what we do now, than to watch everything on our planet die, including the oceans that our beautiful hobby comes from.
I'm not preaching, I'm just saying what if..... I would rather be safe than sorry. Please, just for one moment, stop saying "it's not my fault" and think "what if it is us, what could we do to help correct it". In fact, I am begging you to ask yourself that. Because what IF you are wrong. Please, you know how delicate your tank is, how not having the right temperature, or lighting, or salinity, or anything else can whipe out the entire tank, or maybe just part of it, such as your coral. PLEASE, just stop for a second and ask yourself what you may be able to do to help stop the POSSIBLE onslaught of our planet.
Your children will die someday, it's nature, but that doesn't mean you don't take care of them and protect them. Please think about that, please.

There’s a difference between wanting to promote conservation and sustainable living through science based research, and the near hysteric babble that comes out of the modern environmentalist movement. Ophiura’s original post in this thread was great. It pretty much sums up my feelings 110%, so I won’t bother to rehash them all. Suffice it to say that Research is a competitive field that relies on generating grant money for long-term success and promotion. This fear mongering by the hard core environmentalists isn’t based on sound science. Making wholesale changes to world wide environmental policy on unfounded opinions is not the answer.

nyfisherman

I recently watched a show on PBS about the hawaiian chain of islands and they were on Midway. This island is in the middle of the pacific and their biggest problem is pollution (plastics) that wash ashore. There are 30,000 nesting pairs on the island and the birds themselves bring over 150 tons of plastic to the island each year. Many die from ingesting this stuff. The parks service and hawaii own that island and get interns from the parks service and pull them behind a boat all around the island looking for fishing nets that wash up on the reefs. They had tons of them just pilled up. Great show but was a little depressing.

drewsta

Originally Posted by Phixer
:hilarious I have difficulty picking and choosing which parts of the Bible to believe, ever read the old testament in detail, Noahs Arc? 2 of every species? Sampson? :thinking: . So for me its difficult to believe in how we are going when it dosent accurately address where we came from, especially the facts that we know to be true and because it was written by the hand of men who are prone to make mistakes. There are too many gaps in the Bible. The dinosaur example is one. We know this to be true, so how can one believe that what Revaltions says is true without a huge leap of faith. I prefer to communicate directly through prayer instead of trying to figure out what another mans words mean. Too much left for intrepretation. The details will be different but the end result will be the same IMHO. Oh and Jack who?
Getting sleepy
Good night guys
God Bless

Oh and one last thing:
Chuck Norris would flip Jack Bauer like a cheese omlet and break him down like Calcium in a reef tank. :hilarious
People need faith to live. People make themselves believe what they want to be happy in life! In the bible it does refer to giants that roamed the earth its in there I promise, Maybe they were not called dinosours but giants. People need to understand that seeing is believing but not seeing and still believing is divine. We as a whole (planet earth) need to understand that we are here to live and learn and pass on what we learn. If we had all the answers (which we think we do) why would there be a Bible? We would exist with no purpose. Things are put in front of us to guide us and make us wonder. But it all boils down to FAITH!!!!!!
Just my $.02