Saddle-back Butterflyfish

1911_guy

This is a new addition to my system. He swims back and forth all night long while ALL the other fish are dormant. Is this normal? He adjusted very well and gets along with everyone
, even the Kole Tang...which gave my Coral Beauty hell for 2 weeks!
Does anyone know of another butterflyfish that should be compatible with the saddle-back? I am only going to add one more fish to my system...in about 2 months.

1911_guy

I'm a little worried...he's been swimming in a figure 8 pattern around the tip of one rock for an hour. Is he "fluttering" like a butterfly as the butterflyfish are supposed to or is it something else?

jon321

Is it eating? If so I wouldnt worry. From the picture it looks devoid of signs of diseases too. Good luck.
Jon

1911_guy

I can only say he's picking at my LR, maybe for food. I did see him eat once 3 days ago (Formula One frozen food). LFS was feeding mysis shrimp, won't eat it when I feed mysis shrimp.
Okay, thanks for clearing up on the compatability. I'll have to come up with a different species if I still decide to add another fish.

1911_guy

Originally Posted by xDave
You mean different genus, right?
LOL, yeah that's what I meant.
I would like to find something compatible of course, but I really want to add a bright blue color. I was thinking hippo tang but I don't think that's going to work...my Kole Tang might not get along with it.

1911_guy

Update...
I got a snowflake eel instead, he's still in my QT.
Anyways, the butterfly never seems to sit still. Well during the day he's out in the open and sometimes doesn't move around much but at night he swims freakishly back and forth, back and forth for hours. Is this normal?

jon321

Ive never had a buffterfly do that before excessively. But its been 2 weeks, so if there was a problem it would be quite visable by now; signs of disease (aka, ich) or an extremely thin specimen. If it looks plump and blemish free, just sit back, relax, and enjoy you fish!
Jon

1911_guy

Originally Posted by Jon321
Ive never had a buffterfly do that before excessively. But its been 2 weeks, so if there was a problem it would be quite visable by now; signs of disease (aka, ich) or an extremely thin specimen. If it looks plump and blemish free, just sit back, relax, and enjoy you fish!
Jon
Thanks, he "looks" perfectly fine. It's just his behavoir I'm worried about. Guess it's nothing.

nicetry

Many BF species are nocturnal feeders so seeing them active at night is not uncommon. My blackback swims around most of the night. Others I've kept do the same.