Sailfin Mollies

porkchop48

I have a trio of sailfin mollies in a 35 gal hex FW tank. I am tearing down the tank to make it a Red eye tree frog tank. Can I convert them over to my SW tank?
Any pointers on how to do it?
Do I slowly add salt to the tank they are in now ( over a couple of weeks I am assuming) ?

triga22

I dont think that they can acclimate to it over the course of a few hours. I would belive you need to do it slowly over the course of a few weeks.

110innc

I seen then netted from FW to SW at my work and they survived until they were put back into FW weeks later.

rara12

I personally have a school of about 5 gold dust mollys and about three sailfin molleys and i bought them at *****, netted them out of the bag, and tossed them in my 285g SW tank. No acclimation at all. They all lived and swim together happily now.

michaeltx

if by going the way everyone above has said just throw them into the SW.
I know that guppies and mollies can survive the change to saltwater very easily.
its best though to slowly raise the SG of the water they are in over a couple of weeks till its the same as the tank they are going into.
I had guppies galore in my sump that jumped from a 40 FW tank above the sump.
Mike

renogaw

i've been thinking of getting a couple mollies, but was afraid of them breeding in the tank.

michaeltx

in my experience they actually breed easier in SW than FW. it was amazing how many I had in my sump!
the good thing is that they become a natural food source in the tank for most fish before they reach adulthood.
Mike

renogaw

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2605979
in my experience they actually breed easier in SW than FW. it was amazing how many I had in my sump!
the good thing is that they become a natural food source in the tank for most fish before they reach adulthood.
Mike

hmm, hehe, i have three crabs in my sump that may actually enjoy the fresh food...

michaeltx

my clowns even ate well when they babies showed up which I did think they would but I never had any other than what is in the refugium they grew up quickly but a buddy had a puffer that I took them to when there was to many of them LOL
Mike

michaeltx

once they are converted to SW they wont harbor the parasites from FW and as the young are born they will only be eating things in the SW tank so in essence they become SW feeders.
Mike

deltablack22

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2605949
if by going the way everyone above has said just throw them into the SW.
I know that guppies and mollies can survive the change to saltwater very easily.
its best though to slowly raise the SG of the water they are in over a couple of weeks till its the same as the tank they are going into.
I had guppies galore in my sump that jumped from a 40 FW tank above the sump.
Mike
This is hilarious... Almost makes me want to add some to my frag tank for some free live food. Does anyone have input on this as far as a supplimental food source is concerned (you always hear "dont feed FW feeders")? How do these livebearers affect their SW environment (especially a reef tank) if they do at all?
Lets get some more info from people who house them in their SW tanks....

deltablack22

Originally Posted by armywife1314
http:///forum/post/2606229
just curious but is it just sailfin mollies or is it other types too?
All molly variants are brackish and can live in fresh or saltwater. I've just heard that the babies can be an issue in a SW tank. I wanted some feedback from people who do it though because you'd think the offspring would have a hard time staying alive with all the predators in a reef tank.

i was just wondering because my neighbor is trying to get rid of her mollies just plain old black mollies and i was wondering if i could put them in my sw tank.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2606282
I wanted some feedback from people who do it though because you'd think the offspring would have a hard time staying alive with all the predators in a reef tank.

I think that is the idea that is running though some posters minds! Free fish food!