Sailfin Tang doesn't look Right..

cglover226

My Sail Fin tang seems to be breathing pretty hard and his Fins (which only usually pop up when he's alerted) are up all the time and his color has kind of darkened to a more purple color... i have a 54 gal corner bow 50-60lbs live rock 2 anenomes, leather, polys... flase percula, black and white percula, lawnmower blenny and snails and crabs... salinity, ph, amonia trites and trates are all good... what could be worng?

cglover226

found my 6 line wrasse dead and eaten by my crabs in the back.... did a 10 gal water change and checked now its around .50 gonna do another 10 when i get home from work and hope that helps

bioneck47

Originally Posted by cglover226
http:///forum/post/2851177
found my 6 line wrasse dead and eaten by my crabs in the back.... did a 10 gal water change and checked now its around .50 gonna do another 10 when i get home from work and hope that helps
yeah, good idea, get that ammonia back to zero ASAP.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2851177
Getting the water quality back up to par will most certainly help. Do you know why the sixline died?

cglover226

i had just got him the day before.. something told me not to buy him cause he didn't look too swift (should have lisened to myself) but the six line was on my list of fish i wanted to have..... i also noticed now that i am getting some brown algae spots in my sand what could this be? and how can i get rid of it?

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2851783
i had just got him the day before.. something told me not to buy him cause he didn't look too swift (should have lisened to myself) but the six line was on my list of fish i wanted to have..... i also noticed now that i am getting some brown algae spots in my sand what could this be? and how can i get rid of it?
How old is your system? Brown on the sand and glass is usually just a diatom outbreak. It is very common with new tanks or those with high amounts of dissolved solids. Do you use tap water? It is not detrimental to the overall health of the tank and will disappear in time if the tank is new. If it is established then it could be from over feeding or using tap.
As for the sixline, resist the impulse to buy a fish that isn't looking good. Always quarantine in the future. He may have brought a disease into your tank. At the very least, it will give you a chance to observe the fish and get them eating the foods that you offer. If the fish should perish, it is also a lot easier to remove from the QT than from behind rocks in the DT.

cglover226

learned the hard way...again... black and white percula and false percula are now dead also amonia is down to about .25 gonna do another 10 gal change and hopefully that should do it... all other perameters are good... this brown algae is ugly.... tanks about 3 months old and yes i am a victim of using tap water - dont have a water filtration system gonna ask the lfs if they sell water

spiderwoman

Didn't we just talk about the multiple Tangs a few days ago and recommended NOT to get any new fish and you sorta agreed?

cglover226

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2852811
Didn't we just talk about the multiple Tangs a few days ago and recommended NOT to get any new fish and you sorta agreed?
maybe the wrong guy.... i only have one tang and never spoke about getting another....

not to be rude but if i read correctly three months in an awfull small amount of time to let the tank cycle and i wouldnt have bought the tang or the sixline sry to say but your tank is probubly just starting to cycle but i have mad similar mistakes in the past good luck and learn from your mistakes.