Salt brand does make a difference IMO

hatessushi

I finally ran out of the bucket of Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and performed a water change with Seachem salt. Here is a bit of history first. When I first started up the tank I had a bucket of Oceanic and quickly found my pH around 7.8 to 7.9 and couldn't go any higher unless I used a buffer. My calcium was also above the 500 mark and alk was low. When that bucket ran out I switched to TM pro reef because many said it was the best salt out there but more expensive. I quickly found out that the TM pro reef salt was giving me close to the same readings as the Oceanic, low pH, alk but the calcium was actually a bit low 360 - 400. Well I decided that since neither of these salts were better then each other I decided that instead of buying a large bucket I would just buy a 50 gallon bag to try first with the intention of eventually using most brands out there. I chose Seachem and just performed my first water change with it. My tank is 90 gallons and I do 10 gallon water changes every week. Well after I finished the water change I checked my pH meter and the pH was at 8.0, calcium 420, alk 2.9. I have never had readings this good after a water change with the other salts. The most baffling thing is that the Seachem salt is way cheaper the TM pro. I also suspect that as I do more water changes with this salt that my pH will finally get to about where I want it. Also, I keep my SG at 1.026. the Seachem Reef salt disolved just as well as the Oceanic and TM. The main difference was that the Seachem does not leave the residue on your hands if you get it on you like the TM does and is not real dusty. The TM actually leaves a residue that I had to wash off and is more dusty then even the Oceanic. Just my .02

froogy

Thanks for posting this. Just ran out of salt and have always used instant ocean but was thinking of a change.