Salt Brands

rcbruce

I have always used Instant Ocean. Lately I have been reading alot about special salt mixes for reefs, i.e. reef crystals, coral pro, etc.
Anyone have experiance and opinions on these "specialty" mixes?

chadman

i used instant ocean products for a while and had no problems...about a month ago i swithched to pro reef....its unbelievable the difference...my polyps, torch corals and everything have been going nuts...its great stuff i'd definately recommend it

spartanph

I switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. With IO I always had to dose calcium as levels were usually around 200 to 250. With Reef Crystals my calcium starts between 400 and 450. Basically I don't have to dose any longer.

colourmop

my IO salt have very very weak pH(drop from 8.3 to 7.7 in 24 hours) but i have no problem with tropicmarin, pertty nice salt :D

acrylic51

I'm a Reef Crystals fan and have been for over 8 years, and have tried alot of others in between.....Coralife, Seachem, Instant Ocean, Red Sea, Oceanic and now I've been using Tropic Marin Pro, and must say quite pleased with the results so far.

hemicj

i started with reef crystals and recently changed to oceanic corals seem a little healthier shrooms upped in reproduction. was a little cheaper and its a 6gal bucket rather than a 5.

dragonboy

The only thing I notice from using IO and Tropic Marine is that my xenia seems to live longer with Tropic Marine than IO.

chipmaker

I have never had problems with anything living longer with IO over other brands. I also use naturally collected seawater also and it has never made a difference except in money saved.