Saltwater fish and setup question

cowgirl

Hey I have just started cycling my 80 gallon saltwater tank a few days ago. I have put crushed coral in and crushed shells in. What else should I do. Is it a good idea to put live rock. I also want a colorful tank like the pocka dotted fish and bright colored ones. Does anyone have mind telling me what might be pretty and get along together good. What about anemones can I get them now?
Chelle
Thanks

ocellaris_keeper

The cocktail shrimp technique is the safest and easiest way to start the cycle process. A sand bed is the best filtration idea too. Get yourself some play sand and purchase some live sand to "seed" the play sand.
What type of water movement are you planning on using. I would suggest a few power heads to move the water and create friction on the surface. I would also suggest you purchase a protien skimmer.
A skimmer, sand bed and powerheads are really all you will need for filtration.
As far as fish are concerned, try to find good resources for compatible fish and stock your tank with more inverts/corals than fish. this is more like what the reef's of the world are really like.

cowgirl

I appreciate all of the help. It is very hard to wait when I see all the pretty fish. You have given me some great things to get done. My shells and coral are only about 1 1/2 inches thick so I will do the rest in sand I think. Ok what is cured live rock. I have seen the live rock for sale in aquariums in the pet store. I have a 13 black mollies to help get everything cycling. Thanks again for your help I will read up more too.

cells

quoting advises from some experts.
"if you add LS to the CC, after some time, the CC will be on top of the Sand."
I started with CC too, and every advises I got from experts and LFS people is to drop the CC and have pure LS. Since you just started, it is not too late and not too difficult to switch them.
my 2 cents.

fshhub

agreed, with all so far.
ONE big piece of advice, anemones are way toooooooo delicate adn tricky, IMO. I believe strongly that they should be kept by only experienced reefers with mature tanks(if at all). AND if anyone has to ask am I ready or can I or will this be ok for an anemone, is a very long way from being able to keep one.
Sorry, to be so blunt, but the facts are that simple. If you have to ask, you are not ready(in this case). Please do not take this the wrong way, but I would steer clear of them for quite some time now.

cowgirl

Hey I appreciate all your advise. I am new to saltwater and I dont want to be spending money that I dont need to spend. I am trying not to learn EVERYTHING the hard way LOL. I wish there were some really good saltwater places close by.
Thanks