Sand, mud or both?

blkhawk10

I'm starting up my refugium in a couple days and was wondering what to put in it. I was planning on just sand, but I heard the mud is good too. Anyone have an opion on this?

btldreef

Originally Posted by blkhawk10
http:///forum/post/3202714
I'm starting up my refugium in a couple days and was wondering what to put in it. I was planning on just sand, but I heard the mud is good too. Anyone have an opion on this?
Personally, unless you plan on doing a 4-6" sand bed, mud seems to work better (Miracle Mud is good stuff). I'm in a debate over what to use in my refugium for my 155. I'm leaning towards a 6" sand bed just because it's also going to be a DT (no way to hide it) and mud is ugly

ryancw01

I used to use the miracle mud, but switched over to just normal fine sand about a year ago. I do think the miracle mud is better than just plain sand because it comes stacked with trace elements, but it is expensive and you have to change out half of it every year or so.

btldreef

Miracle mud will definitely help just start the refugium, but in the long run a DSB is more cost effective and id you're patient, it works just as well (and you don't have to replace it)