sand or salt 1st

joker_ca

put sand first then add the saltwater. put a plate or flat piece of rock on the sand and pour the water on top of the plate or rock, this helps to keep the sand from making the aquarium cloudy

opus18

Originally Posted by joker_ca
put sand first then add the saltwater. put a plate or flat piece of rock on the sand and pour the water on top of the plate or rock, this helps to keep the sand from making the aquarium cloudy
Sand or Live Sand?

maxalmon

I would think it's best to add the salt to the water and let it mix, then add the sand otherwise if you put a 2" layer of sand down and then fill with water and add salt you bottom layer of sand will actually be fresh water unless you mix it around after the salt is added.

chub

Heres what I did ,base rock, then sand, then water, then salt waited 24hrs tested water then added LR and some LS

drewissett

If you want to be able to see through the tank in less than 24 hours I reccomend putting thew sand on the bottom,
then place the bag it came on top, and a bowl on that, pour into the bowl etc.
Worked GREAT for me!

hatessushi

From all my research on this site and others if you are starting a new tank the best and easiest way is to fill the tank with water, add salt and circulate and age the water a few days to a week then add the live rock (if that's what you are using) then add the live sand. The reason for the rock first is that if you put the sand first then the rock you risk the rock shiffing if something burrows and you can possible crush something. The cloudiness on the water is normal and will usually go away in a few hours. I used the black and white live sand and it was clear in about 15 minutes. I absolutley would not put the sand in first and add fresh water then live sand. If you do that it seems to me that once you add the fresh water you will kill all the good bacteria in the live sand without the salt in there.

maeistero

Originally Posted by drewissett
If you want to be able to see through the tank in less than 24 hours I reccomend putting thew sand on the bottom,
then place the bag it came on top, and a bowl on that, pour into the bowl etc.
Worked GREAT for me!

sorry drew, but seeing your tank in a day is pretty trivial when your talking about a cycle. especially when using new rock, sand and water. research more bud!

more posts than days here is credible though!! not to say that there's knowledgeable persons who just discovered the forum. it's just that they wouldn't say the stuff others would....